Singin' In the Rain (UHD Blu-ray) review

Singin' In the Rain (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: April 25, 2022, 03:26:08 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: April 26, 2022
Rating: G
Film:  4.5/5

Plot
Silent movies are giving way to talking pictures—and a hooter-turned-matinee idol (Gene Kelly) is caught in that bumpy transition, as are his buddy (Donald  O’Connor), prospective ladylove (Debbie Reynolds) and shrewish costar (Jean Hagen).

My Thoughts
In 1989, the film was one of the first 25 films selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film ranked 10th on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Movies list, 16th on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Laughs list, 16th on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Passions list, “Singin’ In The Rain” was 3rd on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Songs list, and the film was number 1 on AFI’s Greatest Movie Musicals list.

While I enjoy the movie a lot, I’m not sure if it would be number 1 on my list of greatest musicals. There is a lot of competition in this category and while some of the musical numbers are great (the title track and “Good Morning”), but third act can drag a bit compared to such great movies as Chicago, The Sound of Music, and The Greatest Showman, just to name three. One area where this one truly shines is in the dance sequences, which are amazing. Kelly, O’Connor, and Reynolds all excel in this area. In fact, there are a lot of sequences where they look like they’re floating in the air.

I was looking forward to the 4K presentation and it doesn’t disappoint. In fact, this is the best the film has ever looked. The print is clean and clear, black levels are stable, and the color palette is the die-for. The film was restored back in 2012 and a high resolution scan was done with the Technicolor print and it still holds up quite well today. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack has good dynamics for a film nearly 70 years old, but doesn’t carry the heft and punch of a modern one. Overall I came away impressed.

Video 10/10 (AVC)

Audio 8/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Commentary
  • Singin’ in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation Documentary
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I had watched this film last year for the first time and loved it. In fact, seeing it twice in such a short timeframe speaks to the greatness of the film. I really love the cast of characters and the music and dancing is fantastic. While some of the third act seems like filler, the ending is outstanding. Throw in the fabulous video presentation and this makes it an easy one to recommend.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (2x co-located)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Singin' In the Rain (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks Dave. I have enjoyed this movie, as does one of my daughters in particular, and I have it on Blu-ray now. I don't know if you've been able to compare how much the 4k/HDR version improves on it, but if you did, what are your thoughts on a double-dip here?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 04:12:02 PM »
Thanks Dave. I have enjoyed this movie, as does one of my daughters in particular, and I have it on Blu-ray now. I don't know if you've been able to compare how much the 4k/HDR version improves on it, but if you did, what are your thoughts on a double-dip here?
I haven't watched the Blu-ray, but if you give me a day I'll do some comparisons for you. The set does contain a copy, which I presume is the release from 2012. I will say this though....the HDR treatment is pretty good and they make very good use of the expanded color pallet. The primaries jump off the screen. I'll get back to you and let you know how it compares. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 04:31:42 PM »
I should have my 4K copy tomorrow. Love this film, and have watched it many times in the past.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 06:04:23 PM »
Love this. Have my 4K ready to go :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD