Parallel Mothers (Blu-ray) review

Parallel Mothers (Blu-ray) review
« on: April 07, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »

Studio: Sony Pictures Classics
 Release Date: April 5, 2022
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  3/5

Plot
 Two women, Janis and Ana, coincide in a hospital room where they are going to give birth. Both are single and become pregnant by accident. Janis, middle-aged, doesn’t regret it and she is exultant. The other, Ana, an adolescent, is scared, repentant and traumatized. Janis tries to encourage her while they move like sleepwalkers along hospital corridors. The few words they exchange in these hours will create a very close link between the two, which by chance develops and complicates, and changes their lives in a decisive way.

My Thoughts
Although the film is subtitled, it looked interesting enough to request and give it a viewing. Cruz always looks great to me and even though she’s a bit older now (so am I), she’s just as sexy as ever. The story starts rather briskly and you really don’t get much time to know the main characters before they are pushing the babies out. My wife didn’t like the fact that Cruz’s character is a home wrecker (minor spoiler) and had no sympathy for her predicament. There is a twist in the film that was unexpected and there are some emotional elements that come into play, but overall it’s a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.

The presentation is quite good and is a great way to practice your Spanish. The highlight of the video is the various exterior shots of Spain, that look very inviting.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1 - Spanish)

Special Features:
  • None

Conclusion
 I may have to try watching this one again when my wife is away to see if I enjoy it more the second time through. Cruz was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar and the score received a nomination as well, which both were very deserving. If you don’t mind reading the film (or you speak Spanish), then you should probably check it out. There’s a lot more to like about it than not.   

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Parallel Mothers (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 11:59:54 AM »
Do parallel mothers meet in infinity?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »
Greetings,

I have zero issues with watching subtitled films but, this one just didn't look interesting to me so, I didn't request for review. Thanks Dave..!

Regards,

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 01:23:51 PM »
Greetings,

I have zero issues with watching subtitled films but, this one just didn't look interesting to me so, I didn't request for review. Thanks Dave..!

Regards,
Best part of the picture was Cruz...she is so damn sexy!
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 02:45:46 PM »
do you guys geta  sheet and of whats available for review and check it off?  
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 08:07:34 PM »
do you guys geta  sheet and of whats available for review and check it off? 
No....we get press releases from the studios that send them out. In Ralph's case, he's on a lot of auto-mailers, so he doesn't have to request them given the traffic that AVS has. Sadly, we don't have that type of traffic so we don't get first priority on reviews unless I have a good relationship with the studio. I can get any Warner or Paramount titles. Sony is very hit or miss (since their VP left that I had been dealing with for the past 18 years it's been much tougher). Disney/Fox has pretty much cut all but a few sites off from physical media, although they are providing digital codes to reviewers. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal