AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Hunger Games: Ultimate Steelbook Collection 4K Blu-ray (Best Buy Exclusive)

Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: March 22, 2022
Rating: PG-13

Plot – The Hunger Games
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to complete in the Hunger Games. Sixteen0year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister's place and must rely upon her sharp instincts when she's pitted against highly trained Tributes who have prepared their entire lives. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Rating: 3.5/5
Video: 8/10
Audio: 9/5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Plot – The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins as, against all odds, Katniss and her fellow tribute Peeta have returned home after surviving The Hunger Games. Winning means they must turn around, leaving their loved ones behind and embark on a “Victory Tour” through the districts. Along the way, Katniss senses a rebellion simmering – one that she and Peeta may have sparked. At the end of the Victory Tour, President Snow announces a deadly 75th Hunger Games that could change Panem forever.

Rating 4/5
Video: 9/10
Audio: 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ended with Katniss being rescued from the Hunger Games arena leaving Peeta behind. Wrecked with survivor’s guilt, she finds herself in the mythical District 13 reuniting with her little sister, mother, and best friend Gale, who somehow escaped District 12 after the Capitol and its nefarious President Snow bombed it into submission with Katniss’ escape. District 13 is ready to go on the offensive against Snow and his cronies, but they need Katniss and her rebellious and inspiring message to unite the other districts in the uprising and it’s up to Plutarch Heavensbee to enhance our heroine’s image for the masses.

Rating 3/5

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
In the last chapter of The Hunger Games Jennifer Lawrence stars as Katniss Everdeeen, who began her journey fighting to survive the brutal Hunger Games, and rose to lead the rebellion against Panem’s tyrannical president (Donald Sutherland). Now, Katniss and a team of rebels from District 12 prepare for the final epic battle that will decide Panem’s future.

Rating 3/5

My Thoughts
Of all the films, I like the second one the best since it had the most drama and turmoil. Since I had read the books previously, I knew where the story was going and thought it was mistake to separate the final film into two parts—it definitely was a money grab by the studio. Furthermore, the final book in the trilogy was the weakest of the Suzanne Collins novels and the resulting extended runtime had some serious pacing issues and comes across as disjointed.

The A/V quality is the same from the previous UHD releases, so if you’re looking for an upgrade in audio and video, you won’t find it with the newest release.

Special Features:

The Hunger Games
  • Audio Commentary
  • The World is Watching: The Making of The Hunger Games
  • Game Maker: Suzanne Collins & The Hunger Games Phenomenon
  • Letters from the Rose Garden
  • Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9a5V9ODuY

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
  • Audio Commentary
  • Nine Featurettes
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Divergent Sneak Peek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-n39PCXp8

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
  • “The Mockingjay Lives: the Making of Mockingjay—Part 1”
  • “Straight From the Heart: A Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman”
  • “Songs of Rebellion: Lorde on Curating the Soundtrack”
  • Lorde “Yellow Flicker Bet” Music Video
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio Commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ruBz4riDkc

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
  • Audio Commentary
  • Pawns No More: The Making of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
  • The Hunger Games: A Photographic Journey
  • Cinna’s Sketchbook: Secrets of the Mockingjay Armor
  • Panem on Display - The Hunger Games: The Exhibition
  • Jet to the Set (Blu-ray only)
  • Blu-ray & UV Digital Copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-7K_OjsDCQ

Conclusion
I’ve viewed all of these movies a minimum of three times over the years and despite their flaws, I do find them enjoyable. The sets are excellent and the acting is quite good—especially Jennifer Lawrence—but the story is a tad depressing and there isn’t a true winner in end. Everyone loses a piece of themselves along the way. If you’re a fan of the series, you may want to grab this set because the Steelbooks are quite nice, but if you already own the 4K discs, there really isn’t a reason to upgrade outside of the new packaging.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
I like this series a lot, and have been meaning to re-watch them all on 4K. Soon. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Great series to have that is for sure!
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

reminds me i have to revisit these.  been a minute!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up