AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Movies Redone

Barry

Movies Redone
« on: March 25, 2022, 04:30:56 PM »
 Movies Redone

With the advent of homed video and streaming, a great many movies have been “redone” or reedited or given a “Director’s Cut.” Often the Director’s Cut is not cut by the director, but a marketing tool to have you buy the disc again For example, there is a Director’s Cut of Terminator II (one where you see inside Arnold’s head) that was not really otherized by the director.

The BEST redo for me was the original “Blade Runner.” When I first saw it I left the theatre a bit confused and puzzled, but not a fan of the movie.  Eventually, I saw the final Director’s cut and thought it was fantastic.  Originally, a team of Replicants seem overly cruel and violent.  When they confronted their creator in the theatrical version they say:

“We want more life, fucker.”
But in the Director’s cut, the say, “We want more life, father,” giving a very different point of view.

I thought of this when I saw “Godfather Coda.” I raised by rating from Sit-throughable to good.

I have the theatrical version of Superman in 4k, yet I only watch the Director’s Cut which is just in Blu-Ray. It’s longer and Better.  And the Donner Edition of Superman II is a great movie, the original was just good.

Frankenstein and King Kong have been released complete, without the censored cuts and they two are better movies for that.

I learned about “Dark City” when Roger Ebert put it on his 10 Best list.  As good as it was, the expanded director’s cut explained the movie better and I hope it comes out in 4k.

Star Trek II added a few scenes, it made a good movie longer but not better. (WE learn that an injured cadet was Scotty’s nephew.”
The lengthened “Lord of the Rings” movies are good, but the length, in 4k, makes it impossible for me to see in one night. So this becomes a six nigh affair, up from three.

There has been a few Director’s cuts of “Close Encounters” but the last one, which only adds one small scene keeps the movie generally intact and totally enjoyable and doesn’t change anything.

Star Wars has been updated a zillion times, and, believe it or not, I like the updates.  Although Han Solo did fire first.

Finally, the Four Hour Marathon, better known as Snyder’s Justice League is far better than the theatrical release.  But it’s really two movies.

Please, please add to this list!!!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Barry

Re: Movies Redone
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 03:17:52 PM »
I forgot Apocalypse Now and the Final Cut. The Final was much longer but made the movie better. 
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
I forgot Apocalypse Now and the Final Cut. The Final was much longer but made the movie better.
The Final Cut is excellent!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 03:34:39 AM »
Barry, I'm a little surprised you didn't immediately list another DC effort that was significantly expanded on home media release - Batman Vs Superman. It added about 30 minutes. I didn't see the theatrical release but saw the expanded edition and enjoyed it. From what I've read it made more sense than the theatrical version.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal