AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Godfather Trilogy in 4K

Barry

Godfather Trilogy in 4K
« on: March 22, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
 In the past couple of years I have seen the “new” Godfather Saga, The Godfather Trilogy and Godfather Coda. I thought Coda was the end of it. And now the 4K

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Francis Ford Coppola directed and created two of the greatest films I have seen. I tend to think as these two films as one and he Godfather Saga, where they combine these movies and add scenes that were deleted remains my favorite way of seeing them.  I first saw it that was on Laser Disc. Unfortunately, the three movies have never been released on DVD or Blu Ray that way. I did notice that as individual films the pacing is different, it’s a bit faster.

I was anxious to see the 4K restoration and it is terrific. The colors, especially the skin colors, are brilliant. The picture is sharp but there are a few soft scenes, but I think that they were filmed that way. The blacks are really black and the whites are really white. It is an excellent restoration.   The sound comes two ways: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit) and English: Dolby Digital 2.0.  I have only listened to it in English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and it is, for its time, near perfection.

I have not yet seen Coda and the bonus disc, but will put that up when I can. Really, really liked this set. 

There are two sets out there. Both come with the five discs, Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III, Godfather Coda and the Bonus disc. This is that I got. The Collection Disc has pictures and a book.

PS: I know nothing about this, but I feel that they did not present the saga because they would have to restore hours of additional scenes to match the 4k they have now of the original movies.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Godfather Trilogy in 4K
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 09:10:48 PM »
In the past couple of years I have seen the “new” Godfather Saga, The Godfather Trilogy and Godfather Coda. I thought Coda was the end of it. And now the 4K

Francis Ford Coppola directed and created two of the greatest films I have seen. I tend to think as these two films as one and he Godfather Saga, where they combine these movies and add scenes that were deleted remains my favorite way of seeing them.  I first saw it that was on Laser Disc. Unfortunately, the three movies have never been released on DVD or Blu Ray that way. I did notice that as individual films the pacing is different, it’s a bit faster.

I was anxious to see the 4K restoration and it is terrific. The colors, especially the skin colors, are brilliant. The picture is sharp but there are a few soft scenes, but I think that they were filmed that way. The blacks are really black and the whites are really white. It is an excellent restoration.  The sound comes two ways: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit) and English: Dolby Digital 2.0.  I have only listened to it in English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and it is, for its time, near perfection.

I have not yet seen Coda and the bonus disc, but will put that up when I can. Really, really liked this set. 

There are two sets out there. Both come with the five discs, Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III, Godfather Coda and the Bonus disc. This is that I got. The Collection Disc has pictures and a book.

PS: I know nothing about this, but I feel that they did not present the saga because they would have to restore hours of additional scenes to match the 4k they have now of the original movies.
I won't be able to write up my review until later this week. Like Barry said, the 4K restorations are amazing and they have never looked better. Sorry for the delay. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
I went back to the first two movies just to listen to the different soundtracks and compare them. I much prefer the Dolby 5.1 True Hd. In both movies are gives a fuller sound, although the original mono track is not bad.

I also want to mention that I gave non spoiler reviews and I wonder if that’s appropriate in a movie last 50 years old. Let me know because I didn’t wanna give away anything here if it’s a non-spoiler review.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:10:16 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 02:57:44 PM »
I also want to mention that I gave Norris boiler reviews ...

At this point I was wondering, am I supposed to recognize a reference to a famous reviewer? 

a non-spoiler review.

Ah! Barry just needs an editor. ;D

Enjoyed your review Barry, your writeups and historical perspectives are always so enjoyable to read.

Barry

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »
Harvey, when I use my IPad I dictate the message.  Sometimes I forget to go back and proof read before I post. Sorry about the confusion 

Barry

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 03:06:55 PM »
I just saw the Bonus features on the new Godfather disc. A 20 minute feature on this restoration was the only new feature, the rest, although interesting, were previously presented.

It was great to see not just how they restored the film in 2021 but they showed the advancement of the technology that created the last restoration 15 years ago.  Many scenes were shown, on a split screen, for comparison. And the difference is almost startling. 

Also included was a feature on the restoration of 2007.  It was full of interesting pieces of information and is a good companion to to the new feature. 

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 04:15:44 PM »

My sentiments exactly after reading your review!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal