AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The First Marvel Comic Just Sold for Over $2 Million

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« on: March 21, 2022, 09:37:05 PM »
from gizmodo,

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,f_auto,g_center,pg_1,q_60,w_965/ncgomwr22x2gxegqvo7x.jpg

"a copy in incredible 9.2 graded condition just sold on the auction site ComicConnect for $2.4 million to an anonymous buyer....This specific copy of Marvel Comics #1 was discovered in the mid-’90s and was once owned by Lloyd Jacquet, who owned a company called Funnies Inc. That company sold artwork to comic book publishers and this specific comic has Jacquet’s notes on how much his company owed some of the book’s artists."

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:39:30 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Re: The First Marvel Comic Just Sold for Over $2 Million
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »
from gizmodo,

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,f_auto,g_center,pg_1,q_60,w_965/ncgomwr22x2gxegqvo7x.jpg

I wonder what Barry is doing with all that money? :D:-*???
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
Barry hit the Lotto !!!!

The first edition of most anything printed, especially in mint condition, will command a price higher than I am willing/able to pay.

tripplej

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 10:43:25 PM »
Imagine buying this comic back in the day and thinking to yourself, You know, this could be worth millions. I can't even open the copy that was just purchased, keep it sealed tight and stashed someplace where nobody will open it..

Talk about will power!

And yeah, Barry, I am sure has many of these "million dollar" mint condition copies at home just waiting for the big price at auction houses to draw them out! lol. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 05:01:11 PM »
No, I don't have that comic. I'll have to live with what I have
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:28:13 PM »
Nice collection Barry.

Just curious, you ever think of selling them when you read about all these million dollar auctions?? or you just planning on giving to your family?

I know for some, it is not always about the money, just the enjoyment of having the item and the pleasure it gives when one see it, etc.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 09:09:00 PM »
Nice collection Barry.

Just curious, you ever think of selling them when you read about all these million dollar auctions?? or you just planning on giving to your family?

I know for some, it is not always about the money, just the enjoyment of having the item and the pleasure it gives when one see it, etc.
I was going to ask the same thing. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
Barry is going to start a museum. That's my vote.

Barry

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »
Hi guys!

Let me first say that I just put up "A Brief History of Marvel" to fill in many things that this addresses. 

These days I do not consider myself a "collector" but a "keeper." I read, and kept those Marvel comics from 1961-1976. OI go many for free, I don't remember which ones, because my aunt owned a candy store.  Old comics were worth nothing until the Batman TV show went on the air, in 1966.  But, my Marvels were NOT old at that time and I thought worth nothing.

I stopped reading and getting comics by 1976 and haven't read many since.  Marvel was not just getting boring with the original creators gone, but the comics themselves were printed more cheaply. They switched from metal printing plates to plastic and used cheaper paper and the printing was terrible.  And they became more expensive!!

So I boxed them up (in regular boxes, they hadn't invented comic books ones then) and put them away and mostly out of reach.  Of course when the movies began to come out there were newspaper articles about how expensive they are. I had thought, back in the 1970s, before cable, streaming, DCD, computers etc that they would be fun to go through when I had the time.

What I did not know that while Marvel has gone through many owners, they did not keep or inventory the film needed to reproduce their comics. Reprinting is a big thing. So I got involved with scanning old comics for Marvel and writing for them. Then Taschen ask for scans and for me to co write Taschen's "75 Years of Marvel" and "Stan Lee" books. The Folio Society needs my scans for their books.  And Magazines have asked me to write for them.  So I am accidently making money off these comics.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
Barry, Glad you were able to make some money (side job) from your comics so to speak to supplement your main job. :)

As long as one can enjoy collecting or keeping as it were their hobby, it will last a lifetime and then some! :)

Now, if they were worthless and I was not able to get any side money from it, my wife, on the other hand, she would say junk and get rid of them! lol. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 01:58:40 PM by tripplej »

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »
A friend of mine has been buying complete sets of Topps Baseball cards since the late 80's. I'm sure he has some 'rookie' cards that are worth some money.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal