AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Batman A non spoiler Review

Barry

The Batman A non spoiler Review
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »
      This is a non-spoiler review of The Batman, which everyone on this site will ignore until David reviews the 4k disc. Oh well, I’ll give it one last shot.

When first introduced in Detective comics #27, 1939, the character was called “The Batman.” And, of course that is the name of the new movie. I saw it at a Dolby theatre.

This movie is the darkest I have ever seen. Dark often refers to the type of story and the emotion in a film, here it refers to the light!  The Dark Knight is mostly shot in a Dark Night.

This is a very different Batman movie from anything we have seen.  This, with the dimmed lighting, is actually, until the very end, a Film Noir movie. While it features variations of Batman’s villains, the Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman they are humanized and nothing appears gimmicky. Throughout the entire movie, the cast spoke in what seemed loud whispers, which, honestly, made me lose some dialogue. It was also so dark I might have missed a few scenes. The cast was perfectly selected and the acting was top notch.

Here, Batman is a detective, perhaps two years into his crime fighting career and really not dwelling on his origin. The Riddler is setting up murders. Batman has to solve the mystery of who is doing so and why.  To do so, he must delve into his own past.  There is much less action and adventure, although a couple of great chase scenes, and more character examination. The ending has a big super-hero conclusion.

It did not feel too long at three hours.  But throw in 30 minutes of commercials for Coca-Cola and coming attractions I did need a bathroom break!!!!! I enjoyed the movie; it was a good one but not a great one for me.  3 stars out of 4 and I don't feel this a a movie for young children.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 08:02:07 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: The Batman A non spoiler Review
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »
Barry,

I hope you don't feel your reviews are getting ignored. I read every one of them, although I don't always comment....I'll try harder in the future. 

I thought about seeing this in the theater and then saw the runtime and decided to wait for home video. First, it's a Warner film, so I know I'll get sent a copy. Second, it's 3 hours long and there's no way my bladder could make it through the entire movie, that's for sure (getting older sucks in this regard). Third, I'm such a fan of Bale's portrayal I don't think anyone can ever meet the high bar he's set. 

Sucks that the presentation was so poor. Maybe the bulb in the theater was in need of changing? I guess we'll see when it hits home video in a few months. I'll try and remember to link this review in my review of the home video release :)

I just think you're grumpy because the Baseball season is delayed. ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: The Batman A non spoiler Review
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:58 AM »
We saw this  movie yesterday in Imax Dolby. It was packed with reclining seats and all.
Overall, we enjoyed the movie.

The movie is 3 hours but to be honest, it went quick. There were a few slow spots but overall, the pace was very fast.

I think this movie was well  made and to me, it ranks slightly below The Dark Knight movies..

Recommended.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal