AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo in 4k

Barry

« on: February 23, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

This is another movie, I am afraid, that no one here is going to pay to much attention to. Released in 1958, Vertigo is part film noir and part a detective thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock. The film was based on the 1954 novel “D'entre les morts.”

It stars Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. Stewart is a detective that develops an extreme fear of heights. (And a zoom lens was used for the first time in a movie to project this fear.) He becomes a witness to an apparent suicide, to a woman he has fallen in love with, that turns out to not be. (This is a non-spoiler review).

Stewart meets Kim Novak and, in a sick way, tries to have her emulate the woman he lost.  In real life, Hitchcock, having “lost” Grace Kelly as his star, was doing that to Kim Novack.

Many people feel this is a great movie and in recent times, it has gotten great recognition even from a European group that considers the best movie of all time.  It is not. The acting and direction is great, but frankly, the ending is illogical, nonsensical and a bit silly.

As a film noir I found the restored image a bit dark and soft and not the most pleasant to watch. The sound in DTS:X and English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 was just fine.  I would give the movie 3 out of 4 out of 5 stars.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:58:43 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo in 4k
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »

This is another movie, I am afraid, that no one here is going to pay to muchuch attention to. Released in 1958, Vertigo is part film noir and part a detective thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock. The film was based on the 1954 novel “D'entre les morts.”

It stars Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. Stewart is a detective that develops an extreme fear of heights. (And a zoom lens was used for the first time in a movie to project this fear.) He becomes a witness to an apparent suicide, to a woman he has fallen in love with, that turns out to not be. (This is a non-spoiler review).

Stewart meets Kim Novak and, in a sick way, tries to have her emulate the woman he lost.  In real life, Hitchcock, having “lost” Grace Kelly as his star, was doing that to Kim Novack.

Many people feel this is a great movie and in recent times, it has gotten great recognition even from a European group that considers the best movie of all time.  It is not. The acting and direction is great, but frankly, the ending is illogical, nonsensical and a bit silly.

As a film noir I found the restored image a bit dark and soft and not the most pleasant to watch. The sound in DTS:X and English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 was just fine.  I would give the movie 3 out of 4 out of 5 stars.
I watched this years ago and now own the 4K (bought the Hitchcock box 4K set). I'll have to revisit it soon :)
Thanks for the review Barry. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »
Thanks for the review Barry. I have seen most of his movies and to be honest, forgot most of them. I have to revisit them..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 05:03:00 PM »
Most of Hitchcock's work is in the "I should really watch these to have a better appreciation of the history and influence on later films" category for me, like Citizen Kane and Rashomon etc. I need to make a point of putting them in the queue to watch, somehow. My wife doesn't give a hoot about that so it makes for a challenge, though.

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 10:05:52 AM »
To me, the best films he made that I can still remember by name are 1) Rear Window, 2) Psycho, 3) North by Northwest, 4) The Birds and 5) The 39 steps..

I have to revisit his movies, I think he made around 50 and while I have seen most, I have not seen all of them..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:07:49 AM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »
To me, the best films he made that I can still remember by name are 1) Rear Window, 2) Psycho, 3) North by Northwest, 4) The Birds and 5) The 39 steps..

I have to revisit his movies, I think he made around 50 and while I have seen most, I have not seen all of them..
My favorite is North by Northwest, not yet available on 4k.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »
I rewatched Rear Window on 4K not too long ago with some friends. I forgot how funny that movie was - a great rewatch for sure. Grace Kelly is smoking hot in this too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal