AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New theater/media room, still needs a name...

AVSMike

Re: New theater/media room, still needs a name...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 09:45:39 PM »
Why does an interior door need to be sealed - sound?

Sound isolation for the theater. You use pretty much the same things we used to use on isolation rooms in hospitals, before hospitals started using powered sliding glass doors for isolation rooms. Auto drop bottoms,  on double doors and surface mount seals on all three sides of the frame.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Zero International has some good products and information about sound control. I'm still undecided on what pieces I'll be using but a double door and a single door start adding up quickly in price. I really hate budgets....

Brochure: http://www.zerointernational.com/images/products/SoundControlBrochure.pdf

AVSMike

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
Zero International has some good products and information about sound control. I'm still undecided on what pieces I'll be using but a double door and a single door start adding up quickly in price. I really hate budgets....

Brochure: http://www.zerointernational.com/images/products/SoundControlBrochure.pdf

You do all that they show there and I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have to push the door shut. With all of that, it is even hard to get a commercial door closer to fully close the door and latch.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »
Sound isolation for the theater. You use pretty much the same things we used to use on isolation rooms in hospitals, before hospitals started using powered sliding glass doors for isolation rooms. Auto drop bottoms,  on double doors and surface mount seals on all three sides of the frame.

I don't have that issue, as my theater is in the 2nd floor over our garage. With a solid core door, and insulated 2 x 6 walls everywhere ( interior included ), not much sound escapes ( other than some exterior light fixture vibrating occasionally during wars movies ) ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 12:55:06 AM »
You do all that they show there and I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have to push the door shut. With all of that, it is even hard to get a commercial door closer to fully close the door and latch.

Thanks Mike. My plan so far is to add drop down seals, neoprene astragal, and light weight weather striping to see how it sounds. I'm not looking for the holy grail. Just keep some of the noise out of bedrooms which are about 40 feet away. Later on I might add the heavy duty door seals if I feel I need a little more. I know the doors are going to be the weak link in isolation.

I don't have that issue, as my theater is in the 2nd floor over our garage. With a solid core door, and insulated 2 x 6 walls everywhere ( interior included ), not much sound escapes ( other than some exterior light fixture vibrating occasionally during wars movies ) !

Craig, that's good to hear. My existing house is 2x4 walls, 1/2 inch drywall and stucco with insulation and when I go outside I can faintly hear a demo scene playing at -5 volume which is about as loud as I like to listen to. I'm not expecting the world, just something decent.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:57:45 AM by Bombertodd »

AVSMike

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »

Depends on how much bass you have. I also have 2x6 walls and solid core doors, but the bass escapes, especially the vibration from the 7-18's in the room.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
Depends on how much bass you have. I also have 2x6 walls and solid core doors, but the bass escapes, especially the vibration from the 7-18's in the room.

There's just me and my wife, and I rarely watch movies when she would be trying to sleep in the master bedroom and not watching herself. Bass doesn't seem to make it that far, even when the room shakes. That you can hear outside - a little. I have no close neighbors though !

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

At first I was looking at double drywall, green glue, clips and channel. After I talked to a few guys online with big subwoofers and they said there was no containing bass at or near reference levels. I chose to save money and go for a medium level approach. I decoupled the bedroom and the main wall the existing side of the house best I could. insulated all cavities. Added a layer of half inch OSB under all the 5/8" drywall and caulked all the seams. California has some tough building codes and they didn't like some of my proposals. One of my goals was to be able to watching tv at -20 without waking up my wife. I should be able to accomplish this. I'm also planning on bass shakers in the chairs.

Currently I have 2 12" Dayton Ultimax. But I'd like to have 4-12 18" subs in the future. This theater will be more of a work in progress due to budgets. Which is fine because I enjoy tinkering and working on it as much as I love watching movies.

AVSMike

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
At first I was looking at double drywall, green glue, clips and channel. After I talked to a few guys online with big subwoofers and they said there was no containing bass at or near reference levels. I chose to save money and go for a medium level approach. I decoupled the bedroom and the main wall the existing side of the house best I could. insulated all cavities. Added a layer of half inch OSB under all the 5/8" drywall and caulked all the seams. California has some tough building codes and they didn't like some of my proposals. One of my goals was to be able to watching tv at -20 without waking up my wife. I should be able to accomplish this. I'm also planning on bass shakers in the chairs.

Currently I have 2 12" Dayton Ultimax. But I'd like to have 4-12 18" subs in the future. This theater will be more of a work in progress due to budgets. Which is fine because I enjoy tinkering and working on it as much as I love watching movies.

Yep, if you have really big subs that go deep, like single digits, almost impossible to completely contain, if doing reference levels.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
Fired up the electrical for the first time. Sure feels good to see that progress. I just need to finalize the light choice for the cans. I'm looking for something cheap, 3000k color, and good dimming.

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
Getting ready for flooring this week. Almost done painting.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Getting ready for flooring this week. Almost done painting.

I hope that's not the final wall / ceiling color.

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »
There is going to be acoustic panels in the tray part. The rest is the final colors. They look darker in person. The color is Sherwin Williams web gray. Google images show better images of the color.

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »
Carpet pad and tack strips I. Just waiting on carpet to be delivered.

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Carpet is done.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal