AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New theater/media room, still needs a name...

Re: New theater/media room, still needs a name...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
I bought a Graco X5 paint sprayer. I primed the drywall today. It was fun, messy, and hard to see. I am amazed at how much paint comes out.  8)

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
More progress. Painted the first coat on the ceiling. The square vents are two of four AC supplies. They are 14" square. All the conduit supplies the theater and some POE cameras. The biggest 1.5" conduit runs to the projector. The next two are 1.25" and go to the front stage. The others 0.75" flex conduit go to the bed speakers. The weird plug below the conduit is a Midlite ‑ IEC46W that connects the UPS to the projector. I still haven't picked out the projector but I'm leaning towards the Epson 5040ub right now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:02:58 PM by Bombertodd »

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »
A look towards the back of the room. The conduit sticking out the ground is for the bar/table in the back. It provides power and a separate run back to the equipment room. Double doors lead into the rest of house. In the second picture you can see one of two returns. I don't remember the box size but there are two 14" return flex ducts (one per box). Paired with the Fujitsu ducted minisplit it should be silent.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:06:38 PM by Bombertodd »

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
Finally finished the stairs to the lower level. I chose to use a mixture of Insteon, Philips Hue, Logitech Harmony, and Amazon Echo to control the room. I have been playing with this combo for a little over six months and like it.

AVSMike

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 06:52:13 AM »
Spraying is faster than rolling, but if you do not backroll the paint, then if you ever have to touch up the paint, it will show. If you backroll after spraying, then you do future touch up.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »
I've been watching The Idaho Painter on Youtube for tips. I spray the first coat and roll the next. Seems to be working well. I've been working on electrical all week. I'm getting tired of making up outlets and switches. Only about 20 left of the 75.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 08:18:20 AM »
I've been watching The Idaho Painter on Youtube for tips. I spray the first coat and roll the next. Seems to be working well. I've been working on electrical all week. I'm getting tired of making up outlets and switches. Only about 20 left of the 75.

That is tedious work. But it sounds like you are getting there !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
My 8 doors came in. I've installed 2 doors in the past and neither were great. I spent a lot of time and couldn't never get them perfect. I've been debating about hiring a finish carpenter but I wanted to take another stab at door hanging. I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube and came across This Is Carpentry's channel. I followed the video (link below) and installed 2 doors in about 2 hours and they are perfect.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Good deal. Doors can be a pain. I installed plenty of doors working in construction, but I still hired a finish carpenter I knew -he was faster !

You must be getting closer to being finished if the doors are going in.  :)

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
Not much progress has been made on the theater lately. I've been trying to finish the garage, concrete driveway, electrical, and cabinetry in the office. Making progress though, which feels nice!  :)

AVSMike

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »
My 8 doors came in. I've installed 2 doors in the past and neither were great. I spent a lot of time and couldn't never get them perfect. I've been debating about hiring a finish carpenter but I wanted to take another stab at door hanging. I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube and came across This Is Carpentry's channel. I followed the video (link below) and installed 2 doors in about 2 hours and they are perfect.

Once you learn what you are doing, it will go much faster. I have installed 100's of doors. With youtube, you too can become an expert. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »
My mother in law and aunt have been helping paint. They got the first coat on the walls. I'm hoping to install more doors and start some of the trim.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Got more work done this weekend. I also got a new Nexus 6p phone and I'm enjoying the panorama shots, they seem to stitch together nicely.

I am still looking at sealing options for the entrance. I'm leaning towards drop down seals, threshold with neoprene lip, neoprene gasket seals all around including astragal. I'm thinking a flush bolt top and bottom on the non active door should be good.

If anyone has any advice or comments let me know. The doors have been a little difficult, especially with the budget.

AVSMike

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 05:35:20 AM »
Sealing off double doors is always a problem. Also to get the seals tight enough to seal off well, can make the door harder to close.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »
Why does an interior door need to be sealed - sound?

Go Up