AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Denon Receivers

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Denon Receivers
« on: February 01, 2022, 01:59:55 PM »
The Denon receivers are starting to trickle in. If you're in the market for one, now may be a good time to get your hands on one.

Please contact me, Craig or Mike

Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
Direct: (877) 823-4452 Ext 103
Office: (877) 823-4452
jeff@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Re: Denon Receivers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 02:00:59 PM »
Hello AVS Science,

I have a Denon AVR X1600H Refurbished driving a pair of Ohm Acoustics 3000 Talls in a 2.0 setup.

I also have a 5308CI and like the extra watts, but I like the more updated functions of the X1600H.

The Ohms seem to like power.  The X1600 is rated at 80W.  I would like to use the X1600's Zone 2 pre outs to connect to a 200W amplifier to drive the Ohms.

Would that work and does it make sense?

Cheers

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 03:00:19 PM »
Good question. I've only used the actual pre-outs ( as opposed to zone 2 ). 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 03:25:51 PM »
Hello AVS Science,

I have a Denon AVR X1600H Refurbished driving a pair of Ohm Acoustics 3000 Talls in a 2.0 setup.

I also have a 5308CI and like the extra watts, but I like the more updated functions of the X1600H.

The Ohms seem to like power.  The X1600 is rated at 80W.  I would like to use the X1600's Zone 2 pre outs to connect to a 200W amplifier to drive the Ohms.

Would that work and does it make sense?

Cheers
Best I can tell, the Zone 2 preout on the AVR-X1600H is only for Zone 2 and Zone 2 cannot be configured as a 'Front L&R preout. Also, I don't believe the Ohm Acoustics Walsh 3000 Tall speakers have bi-amp speaker terminals. If they do, you can bi-amp them using the 'Surround Back' speaker terminals and configuring them in the 'Assign' menu of the AVR-X1600H. I hope this helps.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 05:11:36 PM »
Your BiAmp comment leads me to believ my question was not clear.

The Ohms have no Biamp terminals, just one red and one black.  The only other preouts on the X1600 besides the Zone 2 preouts are for subwoofer.  It has no "regular" preouts.

My intent was to use ONLY the Zone 2 preouts connected to an amp which will drive the 2 Ohm speakers. (2.0 setup).

I guess the real question is if no other terminals are used (only the Zone2 preouts) is the signal from the Zone 2 preouts the same as using the regular front L and R speaker terminals. Is that clearer?  I was thinking the Zone 2 preouts may have some limitation??

To summarize:  From X1600h Zone 2 preouts to an amp then from the amp to the Ohms. No other speaker connections.

Thanks for your patience and assistance....

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 06:00:33 PM »
Your BiAmp comment leads me to believ my question was not clear.

The Ohms have no Biamp terminals, just one red and one black.  The only other preouts on the X1600 besides the Zone 2 preouts are for subwoofer.  It has no "regular" preouts.

My intent was to use ONLY the Zone 2 preouts connected to an amp which will drive the 2 Ohm speakers. (2.0 setup).

I guess the real question is if no other terminals are used (only the Zone2 preouts) is the signal from the Zone 2 preouts the same as using the regular front L and R speaker terminals. Is that clearer?  I was thinking the Zone 2 preouts may have some limitation??

To summarize:  From X1600h Zone 2 preouts to an amp then from the amp to the Ohms. No other speaker connections.

Thanks for your patience and assistance....
No. If you want to power the L / R with an amp, you'll need to step up the X3700H. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 04:53:00 PM »
It's me again.  X1600H as a preamp to AVR 5308CI used as a power amp to drive Ohm Acoustics 3000 Talls.

Connected the X1600H Zone 2 Preout to the 5308CI Ext In Front via RCA.  Ran speaker cables to Ohms from 5308CI Fronts.  It worked fine after I realized the 5308CI volume needed the volume turned up a little.

Cheers

AVSJeff

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »
It's me again.  X1600H as a preamp to AVR 5308CI used as a power amp to drive Ohm Acoustics 3000 Talls.

Connected the X1600H Zone 2 Preout to the 5308CI Ext In Front via RCA.  Ran speaker cables to Ohms from 5308CI Fronts.  It worked fine after I realized the 5308CI volume needed the volume turned up a little.

Cheers
I'm glad you got it working. Do the Ohm's sound better now?
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 05:41:03 PM »
Jeff,
Not sure about the sound yet.  Still working with it......

Issue with the 5308CI:  I copied my Itunes song list to a thumb drive and plugged it into front USB port.  Set source to NET/USB and it played great.  Tried it the next day and it did not play??  I keep getting Network errors?  Is there a way to get it to play the USB port without getting involved with the Network?  I have no need for a Network connectat this time.

Please help. Thanks

AVSJeff

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 10:50:50 AM »
Jeff,
Not sure about the sound yet.  Still working with it......

Issue with the 5308CI:  I copied my Itunes song list to a thumb drive and plugged it into front USB port.  Set source to NET/USB and it played great.  Tried it the next day and it did not play??  I keep getting Network errors?  Is there a way to get it to play the USB port without getting involved with the Network?  I have no need for a Network connectat this time.

Please help. Thanks
Hmmm, that is interesting. Played the first time and then network error after that. One quick question, have you tried playing the USB drive music back when plugged into your source for the AVR-5308Ci (the AVR-X1600)I've looked into the USB playback in the manuals and I don't really have an answer. Try using the USB music as your source on your 'preamp' (the AVR-X1600) and see what happens, if that doesn't work, I would contact Denon Tech Support at support.denon.com or calling them.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
OOPS!  Should have added that I have changed my setup.  X1600 is not connected.  Just the 5308CI only driving the Ohms.  I'm still trying to run different tests to see which setup I prefer.  The USB port on the X1600 works flawlessly, but i want to also use the 5308CI USB ports when running just the 5308CI.

Sorry for the confusion....

AVSJeff

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »
OOPS!  Should have added that I have changed my setup.  X1600 is not connected.  Just the 5308CI only driving the Ohms.  I'm still trying to run different tests to see which setup I prefer.  The USB port on the X1600 works flawlessly, but i want to also use the 5308CI USB ports when running just the 5308CI.

Sorry for the confusion....
Thanks for the update. ;)
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal