AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Spider-Man No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review

Barry

Spider-Man No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review
« on: December 23, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
Spider-Man  No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review

Movies such as this and “No Time To Die” that actually show the progression of characters are difficult to write non-spoiler reviews because there is a lot to give away and I want to give away nothing.

Beginning in the year 2000 I enjoyed the first two Spider-Man movies, but I was not a fan of the five that followed. Simply, No Way Home is one of the best, if  not the best, movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  The cast, the entire cast, has matured in their roles and have fully realized their characters in a very mature and insightful ways.  (And I cannot tell you the cast.)

Yes, the acting is good and so is the direction, but the writing is exceptional and respectful. In fact, the more you know about Spider-Man the more you will enjoy the movie.

I saw it in a Dolby theatre and the images were great as well as the audio.

The movie opens with a “typical” 30 minutes placing you in the familiar Marvel Universe of the last two movies. Well, actually last five movies if you count Captain America Civil War and the last Avengers movies. And then Dr. Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch enters. He is just wonderful and has a great sense of humor. And you might want to know that Dr. Strange, a man of magic, and Spider-Man, a man of science, were BOTH created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

And then just sit back and enjoy. Never have I seen so much respect, from writers and directors, for their characters. I loved it.

And there are two scenes in the credits that actually add to the story.

PS: Taschen, an art publishing company, has put out a $200 book on Spider-Man.  I am a contributor.  I put up a picture of them taking a picture of Spider-Man #1 at my house. That appears on this cover.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:42:52 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Spider-Man No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:51:48 PM »
Barry,

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. This is an absolutely perfect movie from beginning to end. It's exciting, emotional, and just plain fun. Like you say, it's hard to explain without spoilers but I know exactly what you mean. I can't wait to see it again in 4K UHD, that's for sure. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Spider-Man No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
Thanks Barry for the review. Great cover for the book by the way!

We saw the movie late yesterday and I never saw the trailers or read about it so what I saw was amazing and surprising.

I would agree if this is not the best Spider-Man out there, not sure what is. Highly recommended.

It would be great for the audience to have seen all the previous Spider movies to really understand this movie. While it is not necessary, it definitely helps.

The theater was packed. When trying to see this movie, all the theaters were sold out except for the front rows seats. Not sure why anybody would sit in the front row!!

We had to see the 10pm show as a result, the only one that had decent seating available.

Everybody stayed for the post credit extras.

Movie was well worth seeing and will get it on blu ray
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:47:54 AM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal