Copshop (Blu-ray) review

Copshop (Blu-ray) review
« on: December 12, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: December 7, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
Screaming through the Nevada desert in a bullet-ridden Crown Vic, wily con artist Teddy Murretto (Frank Grillo) hatches a desperate plan to hide out from lethal hitman Bob Viddick (Gerard Butler). He sucker-punches rookie officer Valeria Young (Alexis Louder) to get himself arrested and locked up in a small-town police station. But jail can’t protect Murretto for long. Viddick schemes his own way into detention, biding his time in a nearby cell until he can complete his mission. When the arrival of a competing assassin ignites all-out mayhem, mounting threats force Viddick to get creative if he wants to finish the job and escape the explosive situation.

My Thoughts
My wife had zero interest in watching this film, so I got up early on a Sunday morning to give it a spin. While it’s not a great film, it is enjoyable for those who like action movies along with some campy dialog and plenty of gunshots. The story is very far-fetched, but that’s OK given the genre, and there are some moments of levity that add a surprising element to the film.

The A/V quality is a solid effort from Universal. The digitally-shot film delivers a clean picture that’s teeming with detail, especially in facial close-ups. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is mostly great, although a bit inconsistent. The first half of the film is rather tame but once the action kicks in the LFE will rip the plaster off of the walls. In fact, it’s some of the best LFE I’ve heard on a new movie in a while.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Put this one in the camp of mindless action, which isn’t a bad thing. Butler has reached a stage in his career where he doesn’t seem to be reaching for parts and will join any action flick that will deliver a paycheck, similar to Liam Neeson. I won’t fault the guy for making money, but it’s hard to believe this is the same guy who starred in Phantom of the Opera! If you’re a basshead, then you’ll definitely want to see this film because the LFE level is pure reference in the second half of the film.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Copshop (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
Greetings,

I have this one in my review pile. I plan on spinning it once I get some of the other discs I have out of the way. Nice review Dave!

Regards,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
I have it waiting to watch myself, on the recommendation of a movie loving friend. Good RT scores too - 

Copshop - Rotten Tomatoes
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 02:39:50 PM »
I have it waiting to watch myself, on the recommendation of a movie loving friend. Good RT scores too -

Copshop - Rotten Tomatoes
I contemplated a 3.5 grade for the film. My expectations were pretty low, so I wasn't sure if that's why I liked it as much as I did. Seeing those RT scores makes me question my decision. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
I contemplated a 3.5 grade for the film. My expectations were pretty low, so I wasn't sure if that's why I liked it as much as I did. Seeing those RT scores makes me question my decision.
If it's a fun tongue in cheek action film, I'm all in. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it. Although I have a ton of things going on for the next 2 weeks and it's holiday / Xmas movie season! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal