The Outsiders - The Complete Novel (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Outsiders - The Complete Novel (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: November 14, 2021, 06:07:13 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: November 16, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
THE OUTSIDERS takes place in '60s Oklahoma, centering on two rival teen gangs: The “Greasers,” a class term that refers to the young men on the East Side, the poor side of town, and the “Socs,” short for Socials, who are the “West-side rich kids.” Ponyboy (C. Thomas Howell), a tender-hearted and kind teenager’s life is changed forever one night when a scuffle with his friend Johnny (Ralph Macchio) inadvertently leads to the death of a rival gang member, and the boys are forced to go into hiding to avoid arrest. Soon Ponyboy and Johnny, along with Dallas (Matt Dillon) and their other Greaser buddies, must contend with the consequences of their violent lives. While some Greasers try to achieve redemption, others meet tragic ends.

My Thoughts
Inspired by Jo Ellen Misakian, a librarian who had sent Coppola a letter signed by over 300 students explaining that the book was cult reading among local teens, Coppola captures adolescent teen emotions and the growing realization of life’s cruelties and a yearning for a life not attainable. What’s so amazing about the book, is it was written by a high school junior and captured the teen life in the 1960s and the cultural divide between the haves and have nots. The movie was shot in her hometown and many of the locations in the films were places where S.E. Hilton actually hung out.

For some reason, I hadn’t seen this film since its theatrical release in 1983. While I wouldn’t consider it a great film, the message for teenagers is poignant and timeless. This was the first “Brat Pack” movie, as it stars then-unknown young actors in many of their first break-through roles, including C. Thomas Howell (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial), Rob Lowe (“The West Wing,” Parks and Recreation”), Emilio Estevez (St. Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club, Young Guns), Matt Dillon (Crash, There's Something About Mary), Tom Cruise (Top Gun, Mission Impossible series, Jerry Maguire), Patrick Swayze (Dirty Dancing, Point Break, Ghost), Ralph Macchio (The Karate Kid, Cobra Kai), and Diane Lane (Unfaithful, Under the Tuscan Sun), who went on to superstar-caliber careers. Watching it today was a blast for this reason alone and a film starring all of this talent today would bankrupt a studio—talk about star power!

I watched all of The Complete Novel and specific scenes from the theatrical cut and was generally pleased with the video encode. It can be a bit rough around the edges in some of the darker scenes with some minor crush, but the brightly lit exteriors look pretty damn good. Detail in faces is very good and the film grain is left intact and looks natural. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed with the DTS-MA 5.0 soundtrack on the Complete Novel as well as the DTS-MA 5.1 soundtrack on the theatrical. The music overpowers a lot of the dialog and is must too prevalent in the surround speakers making it come off as a bit imbalanced. I nudged up the center channel volume a couple of dBs and this helped a little, but the overall mix turned out to be a disappointment.

Video 8/10

Audio 6/10 (DTS-MA 5.1 (Complete Novel) DTS-HD MA 5.1 (Theatrical))

Special Features:

• NEW Restoration Interview with Cinematographer Stephen Burum, Zoetrope Head of Archives and Restorations James Mockoski and Colourist Gregg Garvin
  • NEW Deleted Scenes
  • NEW Francis Ford Coppola Introduction
  • NEW Francis Ford Coppola Anatomy of a Scene
  • NEW Old House New Home featurette
  • Audio Commentary with Francis Ford Coppola
  • Audio Commentary with Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Diane Lane, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio and Patrick Swayze.
  • Staying Gold: A look Back at "The Outsiders"
  • S.E. Hinton on Location in Tulsa
  • The Casting of "The Outsiders"
  • NBC's News Today from 1983 "The Outsiders Started by School Petition", and
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes

Conclusion
It had been so long since I had seen the film it was like seeing for the first time all over again. The Complete Novel version runs about 22 minutes longer than the Theatrical and while I’m sure fans of the book love the extra footage to stay true to the novel, it certainly harms the pacing and can drag in parts. Overall, it does seem to add to the story and the new footage doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb like many other Director’s Cuts. My biggest gripe is with the choices made in the remixed audio since I found it distracting. That being said, I wouldn’t let it stop me from purchasing if I were a fan of the film.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD  controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The Outsiders - The Complete Novel (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 06:45:08 AM »
Looking forward to this. Like you been a looong time pony boy 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »
I must admit I've never heard of this, nor seen it. When it came out - in 1983 - I was busy climbing El Cap and other rock climbing adventures. Didn't pay attention to many movies then. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 06:40:16 PM »
I must admit I've never heard of this, nor seen it. When it came out - in 1983 - I was busy climbing El Cap and other rock climbing adventures. Didn't pay attention to many movies then.
You’ve never read the book?  It has always been a staple of 8th grade English classes. At least where I’m from 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:56:44 PM »
You’ve never read the book?  It has always been a staple of 8th grade English classes. At least where I’m from
Not in Illinois in 1964 it wasn't. 

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
Haha I sometimes forget not everyone on the internet is my age. Oops

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
Haha I sometimes forget not everyone on the internet is my age. Oops
Thanks for not replying " okay Boomer ". ;D

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
Thanks for not replying " okay Boomer ". ;D
I was thinking is :D
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal