AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Eternals a non spoiler review

Barry

Eternals a non spoiler review
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
The Eternals is not a terrible movie, but a movie that fails more than it succeeds.  Sadly, it is often boring and confusing for a 157 minute movie.

Ironically, Jack Kirby, cocreator of so many things Marvel (The Fantastic Four, Captain America, X-Men, Thor, Nick Fury, SHIELD and more, devised the Eternals as OUTSIDE the Marvel Universe he helped create.  Here it is used as an origin story. But there is too much here. In the comic, the Celestials created the Eternals to look after the Earth and protect the planet from the villainous Deviants. In the movie we see creation, the evolution of the races, the Eternal’s mission on Earth and how that is changed and their many battles.  There is just too much to go through coherently in one movie.

In the past, characters such as Captain America, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor were introduced and developed in their own movies and then they form the Avengers. Here about ten characters are introduced and are never given the time to develop. So we don’t really care about them. We wished that they introduced four of them this movie and the rest in a later movie, not unlike Guardians of the Galaxy.

In the comics the Deviants were “mutates" and have human form and characters. They all had individuality. Here, all the deviants are dragon like monsters who fight the Eternals, But you’ve seen one battle with Dragon, you’ve seen them all.

I don’t understand or care about the characters or their mission on Earth, and they are not clear what that is so it  is not important. I was with two friends, one into comics as I am and one not.  We were all bored at the same parts. And people with younger children actually left the theatre halfway through the movie.  (There is a gay scene and a separate sex scene here.  Both unnecessary in this sort of movie.)

In this era most of the special effects were fine, but nothing memorable.  Neither is the soundtrack. We saw it at a new Dolby theatre.

Sadly with this and the Black Widow we are passed the best of the Marvel characters and are getting into the second tier. The Eternals only lasted 19 issues and was not a major success.

The movie is not a home run or even a double. It’s a walk with the bases empty. If you want to see it wait until Disney Plus or the 4k comes out and save some money and some time. There are two scenes during and after the credits. One that introduces Dane Whitman and his Ebony sword. Whitman will become the Black Knight! You heard here first!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:28:32 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Eternals a non spoiler review
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 06:04:22 PM »
Thanks Barry...my son saw it last night and completely agrees with your assessment. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Eternals a non spoiler review
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:00:54 AM »
Sounds like a pass. I have only so much time to watch movies - thanks for saving me 157 minutes I can use to read my new book. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal