Reminiscence (Blu-ray) review

Reminiscence (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 06, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: November 9, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 2/5

Plot
Nick Bannister (Hugh Jackman), a private investigator of the mind, navigates the darkly alluring world of the past by helping his clients access lost memories. Living on the fringes of the sunken Miami coast, his life is forever changed when he takes on a new client, Mae (Rebecca Ferguson). A simple matter of lost and found becomes a dangerous obsession. As Bannister fights to find the truth about Mae's disappearance, he uncovers a violent conspiracy, and must ultimately answer the question: how far would you go to hold on to the ones you love?

My Thoughts
I had high hopes for this film given the cast, but wow was it a snoozer. It begins with a flyover of a future Miami that’s overrun with water due to climate change. Furthermore, the people can’t go out during the daytime—presumably due to the heat, but that avenue is never explored. Regardless, the first act unrolls as a very slow burn as the weak foundation of the story is laid. Ultimately things pick up later in the film but by this point I was so bored I really stopped caring and just wanted it to end. Ultimately, the ending was somewhat predictable and I doubt it’s anything I’d ever watch again.

I requested a 4K copy of the film, but sadly, Warner only sent me the Blu-ray. Despite the lower resolution of the legacy format, it looks pretty damn good. Detail is excellent, shadow detail could have been a tad better (I’m sure the 4K shines in this regard), and the color palette is accurate. The CG work is pretty obvious even in 1080p and would have been glaringly bad in 4K.

The Dolby Atmos track is mostly reserved, but there’s one scene in the film that involves a shootout and as the bullets rain throughout the room, the soundstage comes alive. Discrete cues occasionally come into play and for the most part this is a competent, yet mostly underwhelming soundtrack.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• You’re Going on a Journey
    • The Sunken Coast
    • Crafting a Memory
    • Reminiscence: A Family Reunion
    • Save My Love
    • Blu-ray + Digital Code

Conclusion
I think the concept of this film showed a lot of promise, but unfortunately, all of the characters were just plain boring. In fact, it was if the cast was sleepwalking through their performances and they didn’t connect with either myself or my wife. When it was finally over I didn’t feel fulfilled from the experience nor entertained very much, which is never a good thing. Granted, it was a very long week of travel for me and maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I were more rested. Then again, my wife was well rested and disliked it more than I did, so caveat emptor.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Reminiscence (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 06:16:23 PM »
Greetings,

Yep, flat, formulaically bland and, underwhelming.

Regards,

bmoney

Re: Reminiscence (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »
I didn’t mind it. But didn’t love it. Thanks for the review 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD