Kung Fu - Season One (Blu-ray) review

Kung Fu - Season One (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »

Studio: Warner     
 Release Date: November 2, 2021
Rating:  Not Rated
Film:  3/5

Plot
 A quarter-life crisis causes young Chinese-American woman Nicky Shen to drop out of college and journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to San Francisco, she finds her hometown is overrun with crime and corruption and her parents are at the mercy of a powerful Triad. Nicky will right wrongs while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor.

My Thoughts
 I had heard some good buzz around this show and thought I’d give the first season a try. The pilot moves the story along very quickly as they start to establish the main characters and it sets a decent foundation for what’s to come. Overall, it’s entertaining but I found many of the martial arts fights to be a bit over-the-top and saw similarities in this show to The Flash and Arrow, which isn’t surprising given that Greg Berlanti is one of the executive producers.

As I reached about half-way through the 13-episode first season I became somewhat bored of the proceedings and while I finished it, I was multitasking during many of the episodes because it just couldn’t hold my attention. Maybe I’m too old and am not the intended demographic (most of the cast are young pretty people).

Video 4.5/5 

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Deleted Scenes
·        Bond of Honor – Featurette
·        Digital Copy

Conclusion
 A friend recommended this show to me and thought I would like it. He was somewhat correct, and I was initially pulled it, but as the season wore on, I had a “been there, seen that” type reaction and I began to lose interest. If you are into martial arts inspired shows, you may enjoy this more than I did.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Kung Fu - Season One (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the review. I will skip this one.

To me, no tv series with martial arts will ever beat the 70s Kung Fu series with David Carradine..

That series to me is as good as you get with TV martial arts shows.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:22:30 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 04:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the review. I will skip this one.

To me, no tv series with martial arts will ever beat the 70s Kung Fu series with David Carradine..

That series to me is as good as you get with TV martial arts shows.
That's' the first thing I thought of when I saw the title for the post! That was an awesome series!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I opted not to cover this one and it looks as though I was probably right given your sentiments.

Regards,

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I opted not to cover this one and it looks as though I was probably right given your sentiments.

Regards,
Glad I saved you some time Ralph :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal