AVS Discussions
  Go Down

V6 Screen Build

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
V6 Screen Build
« on: November 01, 2021, 02:27:34 PM »
A customer just built a V6 screen for a co-working space, for use with their JVC RS4500 projector, and writes -

Just wanted to send a quick reaction of this screen material now that it is (partially) setup.

I’m not sure what expectations I had, but this stuff far exceeds them. Nervousness I had about brightness this, acoustic performance that, version 6 or 7… all gone. Perhaps it was luck, but this is the perfect pairing for our setup. The funny thing is that we ended up using the ENTIRE 2.3 X 4.5 to build the screen (you may recall this screen doubles as a sound treatment for audio recording sessions). The idea was to run the projector on a reduced portion of the screen and use the extra screen space as both a larger sound treatment area and/or a plain white backdrop when filming in studio mode.

Naturally, we HAD to experiment with filling as much of the screen as possible with the projector image, and for special occasions this setup is quite passable as a ~180”+ 16x9 screen. (Reducing the image size just a bit brings us back into HDR levels and/or Med laser). I didn’t think the projector could handle this much screen but the unexpected secret weapon is a small but quite perceptible increase in contrast. Even though lumens per foot is decreased, that contrast on darks gives us a noticeable net improvement over our old setup! I can’t explain this but I’m guessing it is the material’s handling of light reflections. It confounds my brain.

Acoustically, our audio production man is impressed at how something so opaque looking can let sound pass through so easily. Performance isn’t calibrated yet for our speakers behind the screen, but indicators are extremely strong. The raw surface area for hidden sound treatment is exciting.

Super happy, and our space members are already loving it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:29:54 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: V6 Screen Build
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
Are there any REW measurements out there of V6/V7 showing AT performance?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
Are there any REW measurements out there of V6/V7 showing AT performance?
Maybe @lygren knows. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
Great feedback, thanks! 

Yes, you can see a plot of the measurements we made in the product thread. The v6 tops off at about 2dB@20kHz loss, averaging at about 1,5dB, while the v7 tops at about 4dB@20kHz, averaging at about 3,3dB. Both are easily correctible using a tiny amount of EQ.
Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!

Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal