AVS Discussions
  Go Down

CarbonBlack ALR screen - too good to be true?

CarbonBlack ALR screen - too good to be true?
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »
Projector Central article: https://www.projectorcentral.com/carbonblack-alr-screen-impresses-at-infocomm.htm

High points
  • Displayed remarkably deep blacks, superb contrast, and excellent color fidelity on bright show floor
  • Barely a hint of any sparkle or artifacts even from close up
  • Both foldable for transport or rollable for use in retracting screens
  • Full 180-degree viewing angle in all directions

Wow - this screen sounds absolutely amazing, though it is only tuned for laser projectors. Sounds like it may be a while for it to be made available for consumers though, and no idea on pricing. By that time we should have even more laser options.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:34:23 PM by Paul Heroy »

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: CarbonBlack ALR screen - too good to be true?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
Projector Central article: https://www.projectorcentral.com/carbonblack-alr-screen-impresses-at-infocomm.htm

High points
  • Displayed remarkably deep blacks, superb contrast, and excellent color fidelity on bright show floor
  • Barely a hint of any sparkle or artifacts even from close up
  • Both foldable for transport or rollable for use in retracting screens
  • Full 180-degree viewing angle in all directions

Wow - this screen sounds absolutely amazing, though it is only tuned for laser projectors. Sounds like it may be a while for it to be made available for consumers though, and no idea on pricing. By that time we should have even more laser options.
" If the concept is a little hard to grasp, the result is undeniable. Two 16 x 9-foot demo screens, lit up by a 25,000-lumen Christie RGB laser projector and a 35,000-lumen blue-laser+phosphor Panasonic, displayed remarkably deep blacks, superb contrast, and excellent color fidelity, with barely a hint of any sparkle or artifacts even from close up "

I'm curious how the screen would react different with a laser phosphor projector and a lamp projector. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 06:28:22 PM »
I'm curious how the screen would react different with a laser phosphor projector and a lamp projector.
Article quotes them as saying a lamp projector would cause a loss of 30% peak brightness b/c it's so tuned to laser energy.

It's something to keep an eye on for more info. And obviously they were using commercial level brightness but it still seems super impressive.

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »
Screen Innovations is now the rep for this screen, Looks interesting.

Quote: barely a hint of any sparkle or artifacts even from close up

Wow, that sounds promising. Thanks, Mike.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 09:03:42 AM »
Update on this - SI announced they're now shipping the CarbonBlack ALR screen. Very curious to see feedback from reviewers or other installers, and pricing. I might be interested at some point in replacing my 10 year old Black Diamond with this.

I'd forgotten that I had seen this before, until I came here and found this thread!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
Called my local shop, Audio Advice. They did a little checking and it looks like, for now, this screen is really oriented towards commercial spaces. It needs a LOT of light - said for my 110" screen, they'd set a minimum of 5800 lumens and ideally more. Not many projectors in the consumer area do that obviously, and none I know of that are named "JVC" lol.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 12:32:40 PM »
Called my local shop, Audio Advice. They did a little checking and it looks like, for now, this screen is really oriented towards commercial spaces. It needs a LOT of light - said for my 110" screen, they'd set a minimum of 5800 lumens and ideally more. Not many projectors in the consumer area do that obviously, and none I know of that are named "JVC" lol.
That doesn't sound too practical. I'll stick with my ST130 screen! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 07:11:14 AM »
Update on this - SI announced they're now shipping the CarbonBlack ALR screen. Very curious to see feedback from reviewers or other installers, and pricing. I might be interested at some point in replacing my 10 year old Black Diamond with this.

I'd forgotten that I had seen this before, until I came here and found this thread!
I priced one out for a customer yesterday. the screen was 2261mm x 3988mm and the MSRP for the fabric was $14,700.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 03:39:50 PM »
Thanks Mike. If my calc is correct that's about a 180" diagonal at 16:9 aspect ratio? Just out of curiosity are there MSRPs published for standard 16:9 sizes? 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal