AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Incredible Hulk Complete Series

Barry

The Incredible Hulk Complete Series
« on: October 27, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »
      The Incredible Hulk: Complete Series on Blu Ray

The Hulk was a TV series begun in 1977 and lasted five years, it then had three movies, which are included on these discs.

First, the images from the late 1970s are, for that era, outstanding. I see a little speckling from time to time and some dark scenes are grainy, but overall, a very good picture. The audio is stereo and, again, for that era, it sounds very good.

I am NOT a huge fan of most dramas, action and sitcoms from the late 1960s to Hill Street Blues 1981 because they were often, well, silly, or overdramatic, imitative or just not believable. I guess what I am saying is that even in the most serious dramas, the people never seemed real. Sadly, in that era, the lighthearted Batman became a model for all super-hero shows including Wonder Woman, The Greatest American Hero, Captain Nice and so many others.

The Hulk was not like that, it was a serious show, although it did absolutely model the Fugitive, complete with a Les Misérables villain.  For me, Bill Bixby, especially in the beginning, seemed like a real person, with real emotions. He was really good.  Of, course you must suspend your beliefs, but we can relate to the anger the Hulk feels. Lou Ferrigno plays the Hulk, the only live action portrayal of the character until the Avengers movie.

Bixby here plays David Banner, a man who lost his wife when he could not move the car she was trapped in.  In a scientific experiment, he exposes himself to Gamma radiation to see if that could increase his strength. Instead, the radiation turns him into a giant, super strong, green Hulk and does so whenever he becomes angry.  If you can accept that, you can enjoy the episodes.  As in the Fugitive, Banner travels every week to a new town and gets personally involved in matters that are frankly none of his business! And it does get into a TV formula so it’s best not to watch a lot of episodes all at once.

There were major differences from the comic:
First, the HULK was originally gray. BRUCE Banner was a solitary (and not married) scientist and weapons manufacture who built a Gamma Ray Bomb which was aimed at Russia. Caught in a test explosion, and exposed to gamma ray radiation he turned into the Hulk. Not anger, but nightfall originally turned him into the Hulk and then later a gamma ray machine.  His comic was cancelled after six issues.  He became a founding member of the Avengers, but, since he could not get along with anyone, quit after the second issue.

The Hulk became successful when Steve Ditko, creator of Spider-Man and Dr. Strange took over. He gave the Hulk the anger management problem and a girlfriend. Weapons makers, such as Tony Stark, became less popular and Ditko gave Banner a personal reason for making bombs….basically he was drafted. Finally, the scientist in a lab, as seen in the TV show, is what Marvel now uses in the movies.

Finally, Taschen’s 75 Years of Marvel has a front cover from Avengers #4 and the Back Cover from Hulk #1.  Both are from my collection.  They came here and took pictures and had me write about the comics!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:36:39 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: The Incredible Hulk Complete Series
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
Thanks Barry. Always appreciate your historical insight.

I greatly enjoyed the tv series and will revisit them in the future. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
I was 13 when this TV show came out, so right in the target audience. Enjoyed it a lot then. 

And another thanks Barry, for the historical insights. That last photo is pretty cool - looked up that book and it looks like quite an incredible book and labor of love in all likelihood.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
I remember liking this show as a kid. Not sure I would revisit it though with not enough time in the week to watch "new" stuff I haven't seen before. We are about half way through Mad Men Season 6 and I regret not watching this when it aired...what a great show. Fabulous writing, acting, etc. 

Great historical information Barry. You're a walking/talking encyclopedia of comic book knowledge!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:47:06 PM »
I remember watching the series as a kid. Even though it was a drama geared more for adults, I was always glued to the TV when it came on.

I would like to see it now and see how it holds up to my memories of the show.

Thanks, Barry.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:24:48 AM »
I remember watching the series as a kid. Even though it was a drama geared more for adults, I was always glued to the TV when it came on.

Thanks, Barry.
Good point Tracy. I didn't think of it from that perspective. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 07:14:26 AM »
I’m sure by today’s standards it would be laughable. But I never watched as a kid either. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »

Thanks, Barry.
So far it holds up better than you'd think.  I was a show more based for adults than a great many other super-hero shows.  But I am y spacing it out, I have all winter.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal