Snake Eyes (UHD Blu-ray) review

Snake Eyes (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 22, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: October 19, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
Discover the origins of the iconic G.I. Joe hero, Snake Eyes (Henry Golding), in this action-packed, edge-of-your-seat adventure. Welcomed into an ancient Japanese clan called the Arashikage after saving the life of their heir-apparent, Storm Shadow (Andrew Koji), Snake Eyes joins the battle against the terrorist group COBRA. Pushing him to the limits, Snake Eyes will become the ultimate ninja warrior. But, when past secrets are revealed, his honor and allegiance will be tested – even if that means losing everything he has been fighting for. Also starring Úrsula Corberó as BARONESS and Samara Weaving as Scarlett.

My Thoughts
There have been three G.I. Joe movies with middling success. The first film, The Rise of Cobra, was pretty bad in this writer’s opinion, but the follow-up, Redemption, was quite good and put the franchise back on firm footing. Unfortunately, a third film with the main cast never materialized so the studio went back to basics for this origin story for one of the most popular Joes, Snake Eyes.

Unfortunately, this misses the boat for a few reasons. First, it seems like this is a complete reboot of the franchise because the timeline doesn’t match up with the first two films. While that isn’t a problem, per se, it did take me by surprise. Second, and much more offending, is the screenplay is pretty bad and the film starts with some of the dumbest sword fights you could think of. Literally, why even bring a sword to what should be a gun fight? Fortunately, the second act of the film is actually watchable, but sadly, the shenanigans from the first act rear their head in the third and it ends with a whimper.

As much as I was frustrated with the film, the presentation in UHD is actually quite good. As usual with Paramount, there’s a Dolby Vision flag on the disc and if your display and player is compatible, this is the layer you’ll see. My projector only shows the HDR10 grading and I have no major complaints. Depth and detail are what you’d expect from a modern film and I really enjoyed the inky blacks and bold color palette.

As much as I didn’t enjoy the storyline of the action scenes, I do have to say they were a treat to listen to. Imaging is excellent and all of the speakers are put to good use. The second act features a scene with rain and thunder and you’ll be grabbing for an umbrella due to the realism that’s created. Furthermore, the LFE channel definitely packs a punch.

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Morning Light: A Weapon with Stories to Tell
• Deleted Scenes
• Enter Snake Eyes
• A Deadly Ensemble
• Arashikage
• UHD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Maybe my hopes were set too high after the last G.I. Joe film, but I was very disappointed with this entry into the franchise. What I really think the studio needs to do is go back to its roots and make this franchise into a streaming show where they can develop the characters and have a story with more meat on the bones that will reveal itself over a 10-episode arch versus traying to cram something into 2 hours. On the plus side, the presentation is excellent and if you’re a fan of check your brain at the door action films, this is right up your alley.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Snake Eyes (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:12:33 AM »
Nice review. I always go into hear with a grain of salt. Could it be better? Yes but fun nonetheless 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Snake Eyes (UHD Blu-ray) review