AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die

Barry

Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »
    I went to see “No Time to Die” at two separate , but fairly new theatres this week. One was a Dolby Theater, the other an Imax.  So which was better, who was the winner?

The winner:  Was ME!  The theatres were different, but I loved them both.  But which more?

First, to me, since 1990 on my Laserdisc player I have felt there were two different perspectives on surround sound: What I call the “James Bond” type of surround and then the George Lucas.

The “James Bond” perspective knows that you are a spectator and not a participate. So the sound is more in front, with an greater emphasis to left and right than front and back. If a character gets into an airplane or rocket, the sound does not really surround you, but is more up front.

The “George Lucas” perspective puts you in the middle of the sound, as if you were a participant. The sound emphasizes front and back more.  If a character gets into an airplane or rocket, you hear the sound all around you as if you were in the craft.

The movie screen: The Dolby Theatre emphasizes the sharpness of the picture and the great contrast. Blacks look blacker, whites whiter.  The Imax theatre emphasizes the size.  The screen was 1/3 larger than the Dolby.
The winner:  The Imax.  Both were great pictures, but I really liked the much wider screen. More.

The audio:  The Dolby theatre gave more of the “George Lucas” surround. You were in the middle of it.
The Imax Theatre: was more of the traditional James Bond sound, you were surrounded but more was in front and left to right.

The winner: I am surprised to write this because I thought the Dolby would win. But I like the Imax better. The sounds were more distinct in both their clarity and their placement.

While Imax wins, it is by a really small margin.  I loved both theatres but the Dolby had reclining seats. What is important, however, is both groups of friends, and myself, found it hard to understand the dialogue at times.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks Barry for your review. Also, note, The price difference!
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
The Imax was $5 more than the Dolby theater
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 12:00:09 AM »
Saw the movie in Imax.. Great movie. Well worth watching in the theater.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal