Free Guy (UHD Blu-ray) review

Free Guy (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 04, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »

Studio: Fox
Release Date: October 12, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
A bank teller (Ryan Reynolds) who discovers he is actually a background player in an open-world video game decides to become the hero of his own story – one he rewrites himself. Now, in a world where there are no limits, he is determined to be the guy who saves his world his way … before it’s too late.

My Thoughts
Ryan Reynolds hasn’t shown great depth as an actor but has found a schtick that has resonated with audiences and there’s no need to stop something that’s working. His role in this film is akin to a PG-13 version of Deadpool, although it has a fish out of water perspective.

Guy’s programming begins to evolve and he becomes self-aware of the world he’s living in. He falls in love with Molotovgirl (Jodie Comer) and this experience changes his life and those around him forever. He gravitates towards the hero role with ease and you can’t help but root for him and his companions to defeat the evil tech lord.

My wife and I really enjoyed this film although it isn’t perfect. On the plus side I love how the screenplay integrates scenes from other popular movies into the “game” and the chemistry between the main characters is great. Unfortunately, the villain (Taika Waititi) was very annoying and a bit too over-the-top for our liking, but we didn’t let it take away from our enjoyment of the film.

The film was shot digitally in a variety of resolutions from 2.8K all the way up to 6.5K, but was finished with a 2K DI for its theatrical and now, home video, release. The upscaled 4K image looks very good though and I particularly enjoyed the HDR elements within the video game elements of the film. Explosions feature some vibrant orange highlights and the shadow detail is equally impressive. I did some quick comparisons to the Blu-ray and the UHD is definitely sharper and shows increased depth in the image.

The Dolby Atmos track is a joy to listen to and features a very active soundstage throughout most of the movie. Overhead effects are put to good use to place you in the middle of the action and the LFE shows some great extension when needed. I did need to bump up the volume a few dBs to match the level that I normally listen at.  

Video 9/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Deleted/Extended Scenes
    • Guy and Buddy Hit the Beach
    • Hot Nuts Get Blown
    • NPC Rally (Extended)
  • Gag Reel
  • Dude vs. Guy
  • Creating Molotovgirl
  • It’s Taika’s World
  • Welcome to Free City
  • 4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I’m not sure if this film would have worked with anyone other than Ryan Reynolds in the lead. He brings such energy and likability to the character that you can’t help but root for him to succeed. The presentation on UHD is outstanding and this is an easy film to recommend.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Free Guy (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:02:24 PM »
Thanks David, this looked like fun in previews. Totally agree that Reynolds may have limits but in his wheelhouse, he is fantastic - and I love that wheelhouse. 

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
Thanks David, this looked like fun in previews. Totally agree that Reynolds may have limits but in his wheelhouse, he is fantastic - and I love that wheelhouse.
Me too. I'd love to have a beer with that guy. Talk about a great time!
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »
absolutly loved this.  and my son (10) loved it even more due to the Video game references. darn one F word!  lol
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
absolutly loved this.  and my son (10) loved it even more due to the Video game references. darn one F word!  lol
He probably hears it 10+ times a day at recess :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:28:08 PM »
He probably hears it 10+ times a day at recess :)
Very valid point 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Greetings,

Spot on review Dave. 8)

Regards,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
I finally got a chance to watch this last night with a couple of friends. Hysterical at times. Stunning picture at times too. Looking forward to screening it for other friends and my wife! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 11:02:05 PM »
I finally got a chance to watch this last night with a couple of friends. Hysterical at times. Stunning picture at times too. Looking forward to screening it for other friends and my wife!
Glad you enjoyed it. It's a fun movie. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal