Zack Snyder's Justice League (UHD Blu-ray) review

Zack Snyder's Justice League (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 05, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: September 7, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
Determined to ensure Superman’s (Henry Cavill) ultimate sacrifice was not in vain, Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) aligns forces with Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) with plans to recruit a team of metahumans to protect the world from an approaching threat of catastrophic proportions. The task proves more difficult than Bruce imagined, as each of the recruits must face the demons of their own pasts to transcend that which has held them back, allowing them to come together, finally forming an unprecedented league of heroes. Now united, Batman (Affleck), Wonder Woman (Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), Cyborg (Ray Fisher) and The Flash (Ezra Miller) may be too late to save the planet from Steppenwolf, DeSaad and Darkseid and their dreadful intentions.

My Thoughts
I can’t say I’m a big fan of the DC Universes anymore. Nolan’s trilogy was the best of what it has to offer but there have been a couple of surprises along the way including Harley Quinn and Man of Steel (yes, I know I’m in the minority on this one). Batman vs. Superman was a bit of a letdown and when I originally sat down to watch the theatrical version of Justice League, it wasn’t exactly a movie I had been looking forward to.

It turned out that it wasn’t that bad but wasn’t that good either. Middling in its execution with some decent on liners, but the villain wasn’t that villainous, and the story seemed to be going through the motions. Some of this could be expected given that Zach Snyder had to leave the production because of the death of one of his kids and Joss Whedon stepped in and put his own spin on the movie.

Well, Snyder has enough pull with Warner Brothers that they allowed him to create his own cut of the film requiring new VFX and shooting about a five-minute sequence for the epilogue, all at a cost of $70 million. Was it worth the effort? Absolutely!

This is such a superior experience to Whedon’s film that I’ll never watch the original again. At 242 minutes it definitely is a commitment, but the film is broken up into 6 segments plus an epilogue spread over two discs making the film easier to digest over multiple sittings (which is how I watched it). First and foremost, the character development is outstanding, and it spends more time into the motives of everyone involved—heroes and villains alike. You now understand why the stakes are so high at stopping the bad guy and you actually care for the heroes.

The story is much darker than Whedon’s and there’s a lot less humor, which fits the narrative. My biggest gripe is the Snyder went with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio for the film which I think is gigantic mistake. A film with this much action and visuals should be displayed at a minimum of 16x9, but better yet, 2.40:1. I want my big budget films to be both tall and wide.

Regardless, the UHD presentation is excellent, although its dark and dreary. This really captures the mood and the superior shadow detail that HDR brings out is put to good use. The audio track is slightly better than the theatrical cut with greater use of the overhead effects and more encompassing pans.

Video 9,5/10

Audio 9,5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        The Road to Justice League
·        UHD + Blu-ray (no digital copy)

Conclusion
With the way this film ended, there’s bound to be at least one more Justice League film to tie it all together. If you would have asked me after the theatrical film if this was something I’d want to see my answer would have been no. After this film, it’s a definite yes and I hope the Snyder gets the green light. I only hope that he shoots the movie in scope versus 4x3 for a more engaging visual experience.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the review, Dave. I have been curious about this movie, but I haven't yet been able to convince myself to watch it at 1.33:1 on my 2.35:1 screen!

The Envy recently added NLS, so perhaps I could play around with that, to at least get it to 2.00:1 or so without making it even more unwatchable! ::)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 06:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the review, Dave. I have been curious about this movie, but I haven't yet been able to convince myself to watch it at 1.33:1 on my 2.35:1 screen!

The Envy recently added NLS, so perhaps I could play around with that, to at least get it to 2.00:1 or so without making it even more unwatchable! ::)
Once I got into the film it wasn't so bad. On thing that has helped is my wife and I have been watching the DVD set of MASH for the past couple of months and I've gotten used to the "old school" aspect ratio :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 07:24:46 PM »
Much much better than the first release. I have to rewatch this (in 2 sittings of course lol)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
David, once again we are in complete agreement.  Even on not being a fan of the DC universe.  I didn't like Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman or Wonder Woman 1984. But on to the Justice League

I posted my review here earlier, at: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2831.msg20107#msg20107

I wrote:

The original Justice League was released, or rather it escaped, in 2017. PLEASE do not confuse that movie with this one.  The After the death of his daughter, director Snyder left the movie and it was placed in the hands of another director.  The plot and the characters are so different here. While the new version uses a great deal of the footage from the original, it is so edited and presented as to seem brand new.

On to Zack Snyder’s Justice League. This is a unique and compelling four-hour movie that is both a “Steaming mini series” and a feature length movie.  As a  mini-series, it is divided into seven parts. (six plus an epilogue.) It takes it’s time developing well ALL the characters, so much more than the first Justice League.  Slowly, each character becomes vital and essential to  the entire plot.  I know it uses previously shot footage, but, honest to gosh, the actors are better here and their characters are so much more developed. As an example, in the first movie, Wonder Woman nonsensible and out of character, argues NOT to restore Superman. Not so here.

There are many surprising cameos, both of DC characters and real-life performers who you may not have expected in the movie. This movie was produced to compete with the Avengers and it does so well, in a much darker and serious way.

Of course, the plot involves saving the world, but just a few minor points. First, I am tired of overlong fight sequences when you know who will win.  Also, not only does no one get hurt, or the slightest bruise, or worn out, but Batman never gets his cape caught on anything. Also, this was going to be part of a trilogy of movies so there are are some unresolved issues at a surprising long epilogue. The very end gives a long list of comic book credits, with Jack Kirby in a title by himself.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 08:23:54 PM »
Barry,

We can agree sometimes...except about you know what (The Lone Ranger, perhaps?). I totally agree with you about the fight scenes and in regard to no one getting hurt, they are super heroes, after all, except for Batman, who's only rich ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
I’m def a marvel > DC guy. I mean Dc is ok but I just don’t like the characters nearly as much 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up