In the Heights (UHD Blu-ray) review

« on: August 31, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: August 31, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Lights up on Washington Heights...The scent of a cafecito caliente hangs in the air just outside of the 181st Street subway stop, where a kaleidoscope of dreams rallies this vibrant and tight-knit community. At the intersection of it all is the likeable, magnetic bodega owner Usnavi (Anthony Ramos), who saves every penny from his daily grind as he hopes, imagines and sings about a better life.

My Thoughts
I’ve seen my fair share of Broadway productions, but never got the chance to see Lin-Manual Miranda’s debut Off-Broadway production of “In the Heights.” While he’s better known for his follow-up production, “Hamilton,” the man certainly has a boatload of talent.

Given the success of Hamilton, it’s no surprise that his first production was adapted for the screen (expect the same in the future with “Hamilton”) and while it certainly has its flaws, it’s also extremely entertaining. First off, it’s a bit too long at 142 minutes. There are a few segments that could have been edited down for the screen to trim out a good 15-20 minutes, but overall, my wife and I really enjoyed it. The cast has great chemistry and the choreography is amazing.  

Warner has knocked it out of the park on the UHD presentation. The 4K visuals are a dazzling given the strong color palette of the production with its vivid scenery. The Dolgy Atmos track is just as impressive with active use of the height channels and plenty of low-end punch in the musical numbers.

Video 10/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        Paciencia y Fe: Making in the Heights
·        Paciencia y Fe: When You’re Home
·        Paciencia y Fe: Hundreds of Stories
·        Paciencia y Fe: Alza La Bandera/Raise the Flag
·        Paciencia y Fe: Wepa!
·        Paciencia y Fe: That Music in the Air
·        Paciencia y Fe: Who Keeps our Legacies
·        In the Heights Sing-a-long
·        96,000 Sing-a-long
·        UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
There are some political messages in the film that I don’t personally agree with, but I wasn’t bothered by them as much as my wife. I try and separate politics from my entertainment and even though the messages were annoying I didn’t let them take away from the overall experience. Miranda is one of the most talented men alive today and I’ll watch any production he’s a part of because I know the entertainment value with definitely be there. If you’re as big of fan as I am then definitely check this one out. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: In the Heights (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »
damn i was gonna pass on this but now...

thanks for the review!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

claw

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 02:38:02 PM »
I viewed it first in 4K HDR on HBO Max.   I will be ordering the disc.

Actress Melissa Barrera also starred in the Starz series Vida that focused on gentrification set in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of LA. Excellent in my opinion.    

I viewed the live 4K HDR recording of Hamilton on Disney+.   I do wish that same recording would be released on UHD disc.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
I viewed it first in 4K HDR on HBO Max.  I will be ordering the disc.

Actress Melissa Barrera also starred in the Starz series Vida that focused on gentrification set in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of LA. Excellent in my opinion.  

I viewed the live 4K HDR recording of Hamilton on Disney+.  I do wish that same recording would be released on UHD disc.
Totally agree about the Hamilton on Disney+. My guess is they adapt the stage play into a movie at some point (just like they did here). I'll have to check out Vida now...Melissa Barrera is very easy on the eyes, that's for sure. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »
Totally agree about the Hamilton on Disney+. My guess is they adapt the stage play into a movie at some point (just like they did here). I'll have to check out Vida now...Melissa Barrera is very easy on the eyes, that's for sure.
You will see much, much, more of her in Vida. ;)  I also thought she was better in Vida than in In the Heights.  Her acting seemed stiff, while in Vida her role seemed to be tailor made for her.  Do note that the series focuses on LGBTQ themes.

The show runner was given notice that season 3 would be the last so was able to bring the series to a conclusion.

https://i.imgur.com/8vX8dTL.png

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:00:35 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:02:21 PM »
You will see much, much, more of her in Vida. ;)  I also thought she was better in Vida than in In the Heights.  Her acting seemed stiff, while in Vida her role seemed to be tailor made for her.  Do note that the series focuses on LGBTQ themes.

The show runner was given notice that season 3 would be the last so was able to bring the series to a conclusion.

https://i.imgur.com/8vX8dTL.png

I just did a Google search on her and saw some scenes from this series. Seeing more of her was an understatement! 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »
Quite easy on the eyes 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen