The Spanish Princess Part II (DVD) review

The Spanish Princess Part II (DVD) review
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »

Studio: Starz        
Release Date: July 20, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 4/5

Plot
The epic story of Queen Catherine and King Henry VIII continues in this conclusion to the dramatic miniseries. Beloved by their people and presiding over the most glamorous court in Europe, Catherine and Henry see their relationship tested as Catherine prepares to give birth to an heir, and England wars with France.

My Thoughts
My wife and I are suckers for the period dramas and anything having to do with King Henry. This is told from the story of Queen Catherine, Henry’s first wife, and picks up right where season 2 left off. We found this season to be very compelling as the rift between the couple starts to grow as Henry’s wandering eye (and body) sets his sights on Anne Boleyn. There was hope that a third season would be green lit to conclude the story of Catherine, but unfortunately that hasn’t occurred.

The presentation is about what you’d expect on DVD. I watched the show live on Starz streaming, which was called HD but was slightly better than the DVD presentation. MPEG-2 just doesn’t cut it anymore and I’m shocked the studios haven’t abandoned the format completely and either forced consumers to stream or at least upgrade to Blu-ray. Granted, the lions share of the sales on disc are still DVD, but not having a sunset for the format has kept it alive for nearly 25 years—boy how time flies!

Video 4/5

Audio 4/5 (Dolby Digital)

Special Features:

• None

Conclusion
Through this show I have become a fan of Charlotte Hope and have sought out other shows that she’s starred in. In fact, I highly recommend The English Game on Netflix if you’re a fan of her work—the show is compelling and wildly entertaining. I’m sad to see that this particular show has run its course, but I’m sure it’s something my wife and I will revisit in the future. Sadly, it will be on DVD and not something of higher quality.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: The Spanish Princess Part II (DVD) review
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:59:23 PM »
I've watched a few series on Starz, though not this one. It's shocking though that 20+ years into HDTV, and several years into 4K streaming being a thing, that a show that must have been produced in at least HD is being issued only on DVD. I checked and while S1 is available on Blu-Ray for S2 it looks like only digital formats have it in HD. 

Re: The Spanish Princess Part II (DVD) review
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »
I've watched a few series on Starz, though not this one. It's shocking though that 20+ years into HDTV, and several years into 4K streaming being a thing, that a show that must have been produced in at least HD is being issued only on DVD. I checked and while S1 is available on Blu-Ray for S2 it looks like only digital formats have it in HD.
I'm surprised as well. Very disappointing, that's for sure. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal