Profile (Blu-ray) review

Profile (Blu-ray) review
« on: August 01, 2021, 12:00:31 AM »

Studio: Universal   
Release Date: August 10, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Inspired by true events, Profile follows an undercover British journalist on her quest to bait and expose a terrorist recruiter through social media, while trying not to be sucked in by her recruiter and lured into becoming a militant extremist herself. The unconventional thriller plays out entirely on a computer screen in the screen life format, directed by Timur Bekmambetov.

My Thoughts
The film is based on the nonfiction book “In the Skin of a Jihadist” by French journalist, Anna Erelle, who actually did this, and a lot of the dialogue comes verbatim from her account. The film is shot in what’s called the “screenlife format”: and you only see things from the perspective of the protagonist’s computer screen. At first it seems quite gimmicky, but as the film plays out, I have to admit that I was sucked into the story.

The performances by Valene Kane and Shazad Latif are excellent, and the unique film style puts you in the journalist’s shoes as she navigates the recruitment process. My wife wasn’t interested in watching the film but I think I’ll convince her to give it a viewing because I found it credible and interesting.

The video quality is good but given that you’re viewing the film through a computer screen it’s not something I’d ever use for demo purposes. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is excellent though and uses the entire sound field to place you in the journalist’s apartment and all of the sounds from the surrounding area. There are even a few scenes that are surprising enveloping and will shock you with some LFE

Video 4/5

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Digital Copy

Conclusion
I was on the fence about requesting this film but decided the real life events it was based on was reason enough to give it a look. I found the performances to be convincing and the story sucked me in and I wasn’t sure how it was going to end. I give writer/director Timur Bekmambetov credit for crafting a unique way of telling the story although I’m sure it will turn some viewers off with its format. If you want to read more about the story it was based on, check out this article from Vogue:  https://www.vogue.com/article/in-the-skin-of-a-jihadist-isis-recruitment-network-excerpt-anna-erelle

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Profile (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Sounds interesting. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:14:40 PM »
Sounds interesting.
Craig, I almost gave up on it 15 minutes in because it felt like a gimmick, but I'm glad I stuck with it. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
I love true stories. This sounds very interesting . Thanks!  I’ll check it out
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen