AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Equipment Rack For Projector shelf

« on: July 02, 2021, 01:26:18 AM »
I am considering using an equipment rack as a projector shelf and obviously a place to put the equipment.  In my last house, I had all my gear in a rack through a wall and projector was mounted on from the ceiling.  Thinking putting all the gear in one place with the PJ on the top. 

I used a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack last time out and was pretty impressed with the strength of a knock-down rack.  Especially after I anchored it to the floor.

I will ultimately have a JVC RS series projector as soon as cash is stabilized after buying our house.

I already own rack mounts for my gear as I kept them when we moved.

New room is 12 x 18.5 or so.  I use the measuring tool on the 3D floorpan.

Thoughts?

Kevin

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Equipment Rack For Projector shelf
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
I think it's a great idea. You will never have to worry about the HDMI cable run - it will be short. And shelf mounting is easy and convenient.  
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »
This is what I did for my room.  Originally, the projector was supposed to go on the ceiling, but instead put two of these shelves from Audio Advisor together, and set the projector on top.

https://i.imgur.com/HEJeD6c.png

The top of the shelf is about 5' 6" tall, so it works out quite well.  I actually prefer this method over ceiling mounting; it's much more convenient, and you don't have to worry about it falling down.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:01:01 PM »

"you don't have to worry about it falling down."

I never worry about a projector falling once mounted.  I always put my full weight on it before I hang a projector and I am a pretty big boy.  :)

If it can hold me...........

K
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:02:02 PM by PhotoKevin »

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »
I think it's a great idea. You will never have to worry about the HDMI cable run - it will be short. And shelf mounting is easy and convenient. 
Or getting the power to the ceiling.  Fishing in a basement where the ceiling is not full of insulation is not bad.  This will be upstairs with the attic above.  In the old house, 70s build, it was easy to getting around in the attic as insulation was microscopic.  This newer-build house is different.  The air handling is in the attic too so I am going up there once we close but I anticipate that it will be much easier to just put up a rack.  

This is not our forever house either so, I do need to worry a bit about modification that would hurt resale.

I was impressed on how sturdy the Slim 5 series is.  I would not have thought so but those Middle Atlantic engineers seem to be on top of things.

K

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »
I am considering getting the rack with the removable sides and put the open back towards the wall.  Then the equipment will face front so any IR needed will work. The Middle Atlantic rack sides are pretty easy to remove if you need to access the back to the equipment.  Nice finished look from all views.

K

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »
This is a work in progress but similar idea…..and in a closet for it can be hidden by closing the closet door when not in use.

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
Nice. Let us know how it ends up!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
Crimson makes a nice rack too - RC42U (crimsonav.com)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
Crimson makes a nice rack too - RC42U (crimsonav.com)
How bad is the cost and shipping vs. Middle Atlantic?   This appears to be a welded unit which would be stronger but the shipping would be more. The Slim 5 is a knockdown rack that bolts together.  It can be UPS shipped for a reasonable price.  Of course that was a much bigger consideration when I lived in Alaska.  Now that I am "down in America,"  there are more and cheaper options.  :)

I have my projector table and the table I am using for gear to get me started in the new house.  I really want to take the time to do in right.

K

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 02:00:36 PM »
Here is the rack set up I had in our house in Anchorage.  There a theater pics on Zillow as well and I can give the link if requested.

The closet behind also served as my server room with a Mac Mini Server and most of my switches for the ethernet I put throughout the house.  I ran all the speaker wire and such behind new upper walls built where the foundation jutted out as many houses built in this era have.

This photo was taken for a subsequent owner's sale and so obviously, my gear is gone.

K
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:04:14 PM by PhotoKevin »

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 10:18:33 PM »
Or getting the power to the ceiling.  Fishing in a basement where the ceiling is not full of insulation is not bad.  This will be upstairs with the attic above.  In the old house, 70s build, it was easy to getting around in the attic as insulation was microscopic.  This newer-build house is different.  The air handling is in the attic too so I am going up there once we close but I anticipate that it will be much easier to just put up a rack. 

This is not our forever house either so, I do need to worry a bit about modification that would hurt resale.

I was impressed on how sturdy the Slim 5 series is.  I would not have thought so but those Middle Atlantic engineers seem to be on top of things.

K
I don't consider mine super sturdy. Mine is on wheels and is the largest size they make. I also have 42 of the 43 rack spaces filled. So a lot of weight in my rack.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 10:34:15 PM »
I don't consider mine super sturdy. Mine is on wheels and is the largest size they make. I also have 42 of the 43 rack spaces filled. So a lot of weight in my rack.
I plan on screwing it to the floor carefully as not to make a run in the carpet.  In the installation above.  I shot 2 x lumber into concrete and the screwed the frame to the 2x.  With easier shipping, I might upgrade to the welded version of the rack.  

Will be a bit before I do the rack.  The new projector has to come first.  My Vango works most of the time but does have a tantrum every now and then.  Nursing it until after we close on the house and get back a little cash.  The liquid funds have been hit pretty hard.

I have the projector table and a place to temporarily put the rest of the gear.  It will not be pretty but with the lights off, I will not see it.  :)

K

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal