AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Peer Home Theater

Re: Peer Home Theater
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
Craig,

You could definitely benefit from a Mini-DSP (or two given how many subs you have). My suspicion is you're probably losing some output at some frequencies because of the way the waves are moving through the room. One of these days I'll have to come over with REW and run some sweeps :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Craig,

You could definitely benefit from a Mini-DSP (or two given how many subs you have). My suspicion is you're probably losing some output at some frequencies because of the way the waves are moving through the room. One of these days I'll have to come over with REW and run some sweeps :)
Maybe, but I'd need a lot more subwoofer cables. Mike also pointed out that the Mini-DSP would only affect the bass at the main listening position - which I really don't have. I have 8+ seats over 16'. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
Maybe, but I'd need a lot more subwoofer cables. Mike also pointed out that the Mini-DSP would only affect the bass at the main listening position - which I really don't have. I have 8+ seats over 16'.
Not necessarily...it can flatten the bass response throughout the room. Also, it allows the subs to "play nice" together. Once setup properly, all the subs act as "one" and when you run Audyssey treats them that way. I have a new MiniDSP HD coming my way later this week and I'll take some screenshots of the measurements to show you what happens when you have multiple subs that aren't integrated together. I'm sure it all sounds fine, but it can sound even better in my experience--especially if you have different subwoofers in the same room. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
It depends on your goal. You can optimize bass for one seat or you can optimize bass for multiple seats, but you can't do both. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
It depends on your goal. You can optimize bass for one seat or you can optimize bass for multiple seats, but you can't do both.
The bass was pretty good in my usual seat, but I'm currently working on making it better for the other seats. And it is improving, because I have been testing different seats I don't usually sit in. A Mini-DSP should be the last thing anyway, after I get done futzing with treatments. I am done adding subwoofers - I'm more or less out of room, and it sounds really good. 

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
I have treatments as well, but after using a MiniDSP, the bass response is better for all of the seats in the room. I've compared before and after frequency sweeps in all of my listening positions and there's improvement in every case, although the "money seat" still has the best sound since that's the seat that all of the measurements/changes are done with in mind. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
I have treatments as well, but after using a MiniDSP, the bass response is better for all of the seats in the room. I've compared before and after frequency sweeps in all of my listening positions and there's improvement in every case, although the "money seat" still has the best sound since that's the seat that all of the measurements/changes are done with in mind.
I don't even sit in the money seat. I sit next to my wife who likes the chaise lounge seat on the end of the sectional - the " Honey seat ". ???

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
I have panels on the ceiling above my screen and on the rear wall. I would do more but my room is complicated.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
I have panels on the ceiling above my screen and on the rear wall. I would do more but my room is complicated.

My room is fairly complicated too. So far though the bass is sounding much more even across all seats, so I must be on the right track. 

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
My room is fairly complicated too. So far though the bass is sounding much more even across all seats, so I must be on the right track.
Panels help a ton--I have them employed as well. What changed was overall sub output, which increased a lot, especially during high intensity LFE films--way more headroom if the subs are working in tandem instead of independently. When installing your subs, did you gain match them first? This requires placing a piece of tape on the floor to mark the front of the woofer and then running a 50 or 60Hz tone through your AVR/Pre-pro. If you can, turn off your main speakers and only have your sub playing. Measure the value at a single point in the room (center seat). Then take sub #2 and measure the same value using the volume knob on the sub to match that sub to the first. Do this with all of your subs.

This takes the overall room boost out based on placement. Once completed, put all their subwoofers in their respective positions. If you aren't going to use a MiniDSP, then at this point set the volume level in your pre/pro using a calibration disc or test tone from your gear. 

The reason you want to set them up this way is to ensure that one subwoofer isn't overtaking the room with its greater output or location. This made a big difference in my room even before employing the MiniDSP and EQ.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Here's an outstanding video that explains the process and the benefits:  

Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
Panels help a ton--I have them employed as well. What changed was overall sub output, which increased a lot, especially during high intensity LFE films--way more headroom if the subs are working in tandem instead of independently. When installing your subs, did you gain match them first? This requires placing a piece of tape on the floor to mark the front of the woofer and then running a 50 or 60Hz tone through your AVR/Pre-pro. If you can, turn off your main speakers and only have your sub playing. Measure the value at a single point in the room (center seat). Then take sub #2 and measure the same value using the volume knob on the sub to match that sub to the first. Do this with all of your subs.

This takes the overall room boost out based on placement. Once completed, put all their subwoofers in their respective positions. If you aren't going to use a MiniDSP, then at this point set the volume level in your pre/pro using a calibration disc or test tone from your gear.

The reason you want to set them up this way is to ensure that one subwoofer isn't overtaking the room with its greater output or location. This made a big difference in my room even before employing the MiniDSP and EQ.
That's exactly what I did. I will double check them again after getting the rest of the bass traps installed, since I'll need to re - calibrate everything again anyway. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2020, 10:21:00 PM »
The rest of my bass traps shipped today ! 8)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
Quite interesting how a lot of bass traps ( with scatter plates so as to not over absorb the higher frequencies ) effects the audio in my theater. Dialog is clearer and " crisper " at low or high volume levels. Which is good, since my 63+ year old ears aren't the best. Bass is very even now across all 8+ seats ( 16' horizontally ). Bass slam hasn't been reduced at all - but for lack of a better term, it sounds less " bloated ". If anything, it punches you a bit harder. It's been fun and interesting so far.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:18:52 PM by AVSCraig »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »
Hanging the rectangular bass traps across this corner was a real pain in the a$$ ! :-X
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:22:58 PM by AVSCraig »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal