Godzilla vs. Kong (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »

Studio:
 Warner
Release Date: June 15, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home, and with them is Jia, a young orphaned girl with whom he has formed a unique and powerful bond. But they unexpectedly find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla, cutting a swath of destruction across the globe. The epic clash between the two titans—instigated by unseen forces—is only the beginning of the mystery that lies deep within the core of the Earth.

My Thoughts
If you go into this film expecting a deep and thought-provoking screenplay, you’re looking in the wrong place. This is a check your brain at the door type of flick and as long as you don’t think too much about the story, it’s a fun ride for the majority of the film. I thought the first act did a decent job of setting the story on the proper course, but as expected, things fall apart in the third act as the climatic battle is like the Energizer Bunny—it keeps going, and going, and going….

While the movie won’t win an Academy Award for the screenplay or acting, the A/V quality is off the charts good. In fact, it’s one of the best Atmos tracks the format has to offer. Panning effects move throughout the room and the overhead activity is reference-quality. Furthermore, the video encode is spectacular with great use of HDR, fantastic shadow detail, and picture-perfect detail. Cue up the demo reel because this one delivers is spades.

Video 10/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Kong Discovers Hollow Earth
  • Kong Leaves Home
  • Behold Kong’s Temple
  • The Evolution of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World
  • Godzilla Attacks
  • The Phenomenon of GŌJIRA, King of the Monsters
  • Round One: Battle at Sea
  • Round Two: One Will Fall
  • Titan Tag Team: The God and the King
  • The Rise of MechaGodzilla
  • Commentary by Director, Adam Wingard

Conclusion
While not the best film of the Godzilla/Kong franchise, this one is entertaining even though it goes off the rails in the third act and is probably 15 minutes longer than it needed to be. If you’re looking for a new demo disc, but this at the top of your list because both the audio and video are reference quality and receive perfect marks.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
Greetings,

Couldn't agree more Dave. Nice review..!

Regards,

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:52:41 PM »
Greetings,

Couldn't agree more Dave. Nice review..!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »
I saw the movie today and your review was right on I really enjoyed it.

Although I think you made one mistake. I think that the Academy Awards will be nominating Godzilla for best actor just to show that they are diversifying. Kong is disappointed that he didn't get a nomination for best supporting actor, even though he came out of retirement for this movie.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:11 PM »
I saw the movie today and your review was right on I really enjoyed it.

Although I think you made one mistake. I think that the Academy Awards will be nominating Godzilla for best actor just to show that they are diversifying. Kong is disappointed that he didn't get a nomination for best supporting actor, even though he came out of retirement for this movie.
Good points Barry :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
I am wondering whether or not to buy the criterion set of the original Godzilla movies. I have only seen the American version of Godzilla’s first movie. It is different than the Japanese original.In the  American version Raymond Burr appears. And in the final courtroom scene he gets Motha to confess to Destroying Tokyo.

Has anyone got on the criterion set? Is it worth getting?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal