Gattaca (UHD Blu-ray) review

Gattaca (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: March 20, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »

Studio: Sony
Release Date: March 23, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 5/5

Plot
Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Alan Arkin and Jude Law star in this engrossing sci-fi thriller about an all-too-human man who dares to defy a system obsessed with genetic perfection. Hawke stars as Vincent, an “In-Valid” who assumes the identity of a member of the genetic elite to pursue his goal of traveling into space with the Gattaca Aerospace Corporation. However, a week before his mission, a murder marks Vincent as a suspect. With a relentless investigator in pursuit and the colleague he has fallen in love with beginning to suspect his deception, Vincent’s dreams steadily unravel.

My Thoughts
How in the world did I miss watching this movie for the past 24 years? Sitting down last night with my wife we went in not knowing what to expect and ended up on the edge of our seats enthralled by the mystery and suspense of the captivating story. The first act is a slow burn as it sets up the world in which Vincent is living and you see the bigotry of society on full display which leads him to make a life-altering decision that will allow him to make his one dream come true.

This is a newly minted 4K master using the original camera negative from Sony and the results are spectacular. Grain is fully intact, so don’t expect a super clean image that you may be accustomed to viewing from today’s digitally shot films. Depth is excellent and the black levels are to die for. The Atmos track is very good as well with plenty of discrete effects and atmospheric ambiance from the overhead channels. Whenever a spaceship sets off for the stars, there’s a smattering of LFE to keep the subwoofers rumbling.

Video 9/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Theatrical Trailer
  • Substance Test Outtakes
  • Welcome to Gattaca Featurette (HD)
  • Original Featurette
  • Do Not Alter?
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Steelbook Packaging
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code

Conclusion
My wife was lukewarm on watching this film but quickly changed her mind about 15 minutes into the production. Neither of us could remember ever seeing a trailer for it back in the 90s or else we would definitely have wanted to see it. Needless to say, we’ll be watching it again in the future because we liked it so much. Having it in 4K with Atmos audio is an added benefit. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Pre/Pro
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Gattaca (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
This is one of my wife's favorite films. I might have to surprise her with this, since it's not in my collection currently. Thanks for the review David ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 03:10:45 PM »
Agreed. Watched it for the first time ever last week. Great movie. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the review David - this is one of my all time SF movie high points. One of the best from a story perspective. I saw it when released long ago and haven't seen it since, though, so it's exciting to hear that it's got a high quality 4K release. I might pick it up.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
Just watched this based on David’s review...Story aside, spectacular color palettes and a beautiful HDR restoration...Very much enjoyed...Thanks for the heads up Dave...appreciated 

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 09:49:23 PM »
Just watched this based on David’s review...Story aside, spectacular color palettes and a beautiful HDR restoration...Very much enjoyed...Thanks for the heads up Dave...appreciated
I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it looked great for you as well!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »
I've seen this a few times over the years and have really enjoyed it.  Enough that I have it on regular Bluray.  If it comes down significantly in price I might consider 'double-dipping', so will keep tabs on this.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it looked great for you as well!
What I particularly liked was the brightness...Watched on low lamp, HDR level 0, no issues with nice POP!

claw

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
One of my favorite films.   I own the HD Blu-Ray and waiting for the UHD disc to arrive.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Dave! Nice job buddy... 

Regards,

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »
Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Dave! Nice job buddy...

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in Ralph!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal