AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Constructing and Waiting for MY new System

Barry

Constructing and Waiting for MY new System
« on: February 20, 2021, 04:17:45 PM »
  I am in the process of setting up my new system. Of course, I have been setting it up now for about three years, piece by piece. I post this because this site, especially David and Terry have been so helpful.  This a case of the the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

The Good: We can have really great looking and sounding movies now at home.

The Bad: when I updated to 4K I was really not happy with the JVC DLA- RS 3000. I even had one of their service guys come to the house. For example, the 3D movies appeared so dark it was not fun to watch them. But their new update seems to have fixed everything. I delighted.

The Ugly: Not so much Ugly, but sad.  In the 1980s I was “exposed” to high end by listening and thoroughly enjoying Mark Levenson (a.k.a. Madrigal) and their Proceed equipment. That changed radically when Harmon bought it and the merged the manufacturing with their other products.

I switched to Krell. For several years I enjoyed my amps and processor.  Sadly, Krell too was taken over and they no longer update or construct their own products. I had trouble with repairs and updating. But no 4K or Atmos.
So, not spending money this year because we did not go anywhere or do anything.  I decided to make a big jump to McIntosh, which I think (and pray) will be around for a while.  So I am now waiting for the components to come in, if I am lucky, next month.

Amplifier (center)                    McIntosh MC-611
Amplifiers (lt/rt)                      McIntosh MC1.25KW
Amplifier (5 channel)                Krell S-1500 (only remaining Krell, 15 years old)
4K Disc Player                         Panasonic UB9000 (2.5 years, I think)
CD/SACD Player                      Esoteric K-01XD
Controller                                McIntosh MX170
FM Tuner                                 Day Sequerra FM Reference (30 years old)
SIRIUSXM/Pandora                   Sonos
Streaming Audio                       Aurender N100H
Speakers                                 Revel Ultima Salon 2 (12 Years old)
      Center Channel                  Revel Ultima Voice 2  (12 Years old)
      Rear & Back                      Revel W 990 ((17 Years old)
      Atmos Ceiling (2)                Revel C763L  (new)
Sub-Woofer                              (2) SVS SB-13 Ultras  (6 Years)
Turntable                                 VPI 19 Mark 4  (30 Years old)
          Tonearm                        SME 309
          Turntable Stylus             Audioquest 404i
          VPI Synchronous Drive System
          Video Projector               JVC DLA-RS3000  (3 Years, I think)
Video Screen                           Stuart StudioTek100  (3 years)
Wiring:                                     Shunyata/Straight Wire (rears)

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Constructing and Waiting for MY new System
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:54:53 PM »
I have loved following your system all these years. I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing about your new amps. I have always loved the way McIntosh gear looks but I never heard any.

As for that "really old" VPI, isn't it time for an "upgrade"? ;)::)

Barry

Re: Constructing and Waiting for MY new System
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
       Tracy,

I first heard McIntosh components in the mid 1980s at Leonard’s Radio, an audio store in New York.  I liked it but was not overly impressed because of the price, I thought it could be better. The dealer, however, loved it and was very much impressed about how the company was run and how much support they gave the customers and the products.

A decade later, I heard a McIntosh system I  someone’s home and again IO was not overly impressed and tjhen I discovered why!!!
A few years ago, I visited a home that was McIntosh for components but not for speakers.  It was great, I loved it.  Great sound, great detail and great soundstage.

What I discovered is that McIntosh did not make the best speakers. In fact, few companies did both components and speakers. But the pre-amps, amps, tuners are good quality. The two dealers I spoke to, however, did not like the SACD players and recommended others.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal