Honest Thief (Blu0ray) review

Honest Thief (Blu0ray) review
« on: December 22, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: December 29, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
They call him the In and Out Bandit because meticulous thief Tom Carter (Liam Neeson) has stolen $9 million from small-town banks while managing to keep his identity a secret. But after he falls in love with the bubbly Annie (Kate Walsh), Tom decides to make a fresh start by coming clean about his criminal past, only to be double-crossed by two ruthless FBI agents.  

My Thoughts
I always seem to enjoy watching Liam Neeson exhibit his certain set of skills and as usual, he delivers a very good performance. That being said, this is a mediocre screenplay—at best—and while I’ve seen far worse, this isn’t anything to write home about. First off, the premise is just plain dumb. If Carter was feeling guilty about all the money he stole, whey wouldn’t he put it all in an undisclosed location and let the FBI know where to find it instead of going through all the machinations of clearing his conscious the literally hardest way possible. Furthermore, the FBI “bad guys” seem a bit of stretch as well, especially in their bizarre actions to cover up their crime.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Blu-ray + DVD + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
Released in October to theaters, its box office didn’t set any records due to Covid-19. In fact, its worldwide gross is about $25 million so I’m sure the studio is hoping for brisk demand via streaming platforms to earn back so of the production budget. It’s a typical Neeson action flick and if you can check your brain at the door and not think about the plot too much you can have a good time. The presentation is top-notch as well, which never hurts.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Honest Thief (Blu0ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:39:59 PM »
I never heard of this one until now.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
I never heard of this one until now.
Until I got the press release, neither did I. I didn't even request it for review, it just showed up on Friday :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Greetings,

My copy remains in the Fedex wormhole and at this point looks like it is lost. Glad I didn't miss a good one but, as a Neeson fan wanted to see it nonetheless. Oh well...

Regards,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
This reminds me that it's time to watch Taken - the original is best !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal