AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Godfather Coda - The Death of Michael Corleone (Blu-ray) review

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 8, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Coppola’s masterful film adaptation of Puzo’s novel chronicles the rise and fall of the Corleone family and the saga is rightfully viewed as one of the greatest in cinematic history.  The Godfather: Part III was nominated for seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture and Best Director*.  The film follows Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), now in his 60s, as he seeks to free his family from crime and find a suitable successor to his empire.

A word for the writer/director: 

My Thoughts
I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling—until now. This reworked vision of the film is extremely well crafted and changes the narrative ever so slightly in the right direction. You can see and feel the torment that Michael is going through and according to Coppola, this is the vision of the finale that he always wanted and fortunately, Paramount allowed him to go back and rework it.

I remember 30 years ago when Sophia Coppola’s performance was lambasted by the critics, but in all honesty, I don’t get it. Sure, she’s probably the worst actor in the production, but she was thrown into the role at the last minute when Winona Ryder backed out and frankly, she does a decent job playing the naïve teenager. It was fun seeing a young Andy Garcia in one of his earlier roles and I found the third act to be full of drama and intrigue, even though I knew how it would end.

The presentation is vey good and while some may find it a tad on the dark side, this is how it was intentionally shot with shadows casting across the actor’s faces, particularly Michael as he balances between the forces of good and evil and how these shadows portray his moods. The TrueHD 5.1 track features intelligible dialog and some good use of atmospheric effects to the rear of the room, especially during the final act.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Special Features:

• None

Conclusion
There will certainly be a 4K release of the The Godfather trilogy at some point in the future and I hope that this version of the third film is included in the set. At the very least offer both versions and let the fans choose which one they want to watch—I know which one I’ll be watching, that’s for sure! If you’re a fan of the trilogy, definitely give this one a look because I think you’ll agree it’s the best conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies in film history. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The Godfather Coda - The Death of Michael Corleone (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »
Interesting. While the first two are some of my favorite movies of all time (which I’m due for a rewatch) I’ve never seen the 3rd despot owning it in two formats. 

Might have to check this out
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:49 PM »
I am hoping for a 4K Godfather Saga which edits the three films together, in chronological order. So far that has been released to cable and on Laser Disc but never on DVD.

I have this on order.

David, to be honest, Miss Coppola was terrible.  Paramount rushed production so they could not wait and find another actress. But that is not relevant. Her performance hurts the film, it doesn't matter what the reason. Heck, when she got shot, I wondered what took them so long. (Just kidding)
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:05:20 AM »
I am hoping for a 4K Godfather Saga which edits the three films together, in chronological order. So far that has been released to cable and on Laser Disc but never on DVD.

I have this on order.

David, to be honest, Miss Coppola was terrible.  Paramount rushed production so they could not wait and find another actress. But that is not relevant. Her performance hurts the film, it doesn't matter what the reason. Heck, when she got shot, I wondered what took them so long. (Just kidding)
Neither my wife or I found her performance offensive...I have seen worse from other actresses (and actors). It's still a very good film. I'm curious to hear how you like the new cut. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
Dave, I just got Goodfellas 4k and tomorrow Godfather III 4K. Nowadays however, everyone is wearing a mask. 

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
Dave, I just got Goodfellas 4k and tomorrow Godfather III 4K. Nowadays however, everyone is wearing a mask.
It's "Mobster's Week" at Barry's house. BYOP (Bring Your Own Popcorn (And Mask)). Enjoy!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
 Another final to the Godfather Saga.  I thought I was done buying discs but…
Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”

David wrote, “I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling...until now.”

Right on! Or, in David’s case, “Write On!”  I gave the first two Godfather films four out of four stars and 1.5, maybe 2 for the last one. This is at least 3 stars! Maybe 3.5 (I have to see it again.)  It is a better story, told much better, with much better pacing. While Miss Cupola didn’t add much to the picture, here she was not a distraction at all. This is partially because her scenes and character were developed much better. Although mis-titled, I really enjoyed this movie.  It is a fitting end.

We also got much less of the miscast George Hamilton. (Robert Duvall turned down the role because he wanted more money. He really was missed) And more of Talia Shire and she is just damn good.

Pacino is beyond great. He recently said that he wished they had filmed his last sense NOW because he would not need make-up.

Seriously, there were several plot points and relationships I did not fully understand in the original version, which I have not seen in years. This clears up all but one.

Two minor points: I still wish the final 20 minutes were shorter. And I still don’t see Kay being almost forgiving to Mike after the way he treated her…and vice versa.

By the way, the sub-titles don’t exactly match the dialogue.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »
Another final to the Godfather Saga.  I thought I was done buying discs but…
Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”

David wrote, “I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling...until now.”

Right on! Or, in David’s case, “Write On!”  I gave the first two Godfather films four out of four stars and 1.5, maybe 2 for the last one. This is at least 3 stars! Maybe 3.5 (I have to see it again.)  It is a better story, told much better, with much better pacing. While Miss Cupola didn’t add much to the picture, here she was not a distraction at all. This is partially because her scenes and character were developed much better. Although mis-titled, I really enjoyed this movie.  It is a fitting end.

We also got much less of the miscast George Hamilton. (Robert Duvall turned down the role because he wanted more money. He really was missed) And more of Talia Shire and she is just damn good.

Pacino is beyond great. He recently said that he wished they had filmed his last sense NOW because he would not need make-up.

Seriously, there were several plot points and relationships I did not fully understand in the original version, which I have not seen in years. This clears up all but one.

Two minor points: I still wish the final 20 minutes were shorter. And I still don’t see Kay being almost forgiving to Mike after the way he treated her…and vice versa.

By the way, the sub-titles don’t exactly match the dialogue.
Barry, I noticed that with the subtitles as well. Whenever a character mumbled in a scene we'd go back and rewatch it with subtitles on. What I think is the subtitles are from the actual script versus a small adlib by the actor in the scene. I noticed this a lot with Garcia, in particular. I'm glad you enjoyed it though...amazing what can be done in the editing room to improve a movie that has already been in the can for 30 years!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal