AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Warner 2021 movie releases to stream in 4K HDR on HBO Max

claw

« on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
I started this thread so the streaming device hardware comparison thread does not go too far off topic.

Warner Bros. Pictures Group Announces Innovative, Hybrid Distribution Model For Its 2021 Theatrical Slate

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/hbo-max/warner-bros-pictures-group-announces-innovative-hybrid-distribution-model-its-2021

There will be an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release date.    The films will be available in 4K HDR.

HBO Max is currently only available in the U.S.

Most popular streaming devices have an HBO Max App except the Roku.  It is unclear whether all HBO Max supported devices will also have 4K HDR.

HBO Max (hbomax.com) has a promotion valid from December 3 to January 15 for a 20% discount for 6 months, a $69.99 total subscription price.

This announcement is in addition to the previously announced showing of Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max in 4K HDR on December 25.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:05:56 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Re: Warner 2021 movie releases to stream in 4K HDR on HBO Max
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
I started this thread so the streaming device hardware comparison thread does not go too far off topic.

Warner Bros. Pictures Group Announces Innovative, Hybrid Distribution Model For Its 2021 Theatrical Slate

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/hbo-max/warner-bros-pictures-group-announces-innovative-hybrid-distribution-model-its-2021

There will be an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release date.    The films will be available in 4K HDR.

HBO Max is currently only available in the U.S.

Most popular streaming devices have an HBO Max App except the Roku.  It is unclear whether all HBO Max supported devices will also have 4K HDR.

HBO Max (hbomax.com) has a promotion valid from December 3 to January 15 for a 20% discount for 6 months, a $69.99 total subscription price.

This announcement is in addition to the previously announced showing of Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max in 4K HDR on December 25.
Covid has sped up something that was going to happen eventually anyway. Frankly, $70 for six months is a bargain when you figure a family of four going to the movies will cost you that much on a Saturday night if you buy popcorn, soda, and candy. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »
I would never subscribe on a long term basis if the movies were not in 4K HDR.  Currently, I sign up to binge watch a series or two and then unsubscribe.

But this way I can view on release date and then purchase the subsequent 4K disc release when it goes on sale instead of full price.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:28:28 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
I would never subscribe on a long term basis if the movies were not in 4K HDR.  Currently, I sign up to binge watch a series or two and then unsubscribe.

But this way I can view on release date and then purchase the subsequent 4K disc release when it goes on sale instead of full price.
Exactly. I doubt people will be going back to theaters in large numbers for a very long time. I hope I'm wrong though. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:34:29 PM »
Exactly. I doubt people will be going back to theaters in large numbers for a very long time. I hope I'm wrong though.
I'm guessing that by this time next year enough people will be vaccinated for Covid-19, that theaters will be open again for the 2021 holiday season. Maybe by July even. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:40:23 PM »
I definitely want theaters to come back for partially sentimental reasons. But also because even with a decent projection setup (I don't have an all out dedicated HT room like many here) the actual size of the image does make an impact. 

However, I think the other impact is this could be another nail in the physical media coffin. Especially if HBO Max nails the video/audio quality.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 10:08:22 PM »
I definitely want theaters to come back for partially sentimental reasons. But also because even with a decent projection setup (I don't have an all out dedicated HT room like many here) the actual size of the image does make an impact.

However, I think the other impact is this could be another nail in the physical media coffin. Especially if HBO Max nails the video/audio quality.
The video quality of streaming has come a long way, but the audio quality is piss-poor when comparing it to lossless codecs that are found on discs. As a test, take a musical (it's much easier to tell with music versus other sounds) and play a song back to back...streaming first, then physical media, then back to the streaming. When you hear them back to back like that it really showcases how flat and hollow the audio is versus physical media. You'll probably notice the video doesn't quite have the depth as the disc either, but most viewers don't know what to look for (ignorance is bliss). 
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
I'm guessing that by this time next year enough people will be vaccinated for Covid-19, that theaters will be open again for the 2021 holiday season. Maybe by July even.
The New York Times today posted a vaccination position in line estimator.    It calculated there are 2 million persons in my home state that would be ahead of me to get the vaccine.    

July seems overly optimistic.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 10:46:45 PM »
The New York Times today posted a vaccination position in line estimator.    It calculated there are 2 million persons in my home state that would be ahead of me to get the vaccine.   

July seems overly optimistic.
At the current rate of sickness in the US right now, a vaccine may not be needed. We may be a herd immunity by spring. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »

I only watch disc. No physical media, no sale. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 04:18:08 PM »
At the current rate of sickness in the US right now, a vaccine may not be needed. We may be a herd immunity by spring.
That hasn't seemed to work in Sweden. 

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
Same here
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »

Yeah, I know. There are records now that apparently don't have a CD being made so the only option is digital. This is the future that's coming like it or not. I would like to rent 4K discs to watch movies I don't want to own but it's... not impossible, just very difficult. I'm checking Redbox which says they have 4K UHD available but so far not a single one is showing up available for me. Only other option is the mail rental services which don't seem great.

I think the better option is to advocate for improvements in audio on the streaming side. 

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
That hasn't seemed to work in Sweden.
Craig, I thought you'd find this statistic interesting. Look a the deaths per 100,000 people in Sweden compared to past years. I'm glad they shutdown the world in 2015 when the deaths were so high!

https://i.imgur.com/gzoqHLc.jpg
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
Yeah, I know. There are records now that apparently don't have a CD being made so the only option is digital. This is the future that's coming like it or not. I would like to rent 4K discs to watch movies I don't want to own but it's... not impossible, just very difficult. I'm checking Redbox which says they have 4K UHD available but so far not a single one is showing up available for me. Only other option is the mail rental services which don't seem great.

I think the better option is to advocate for improvements in audio on the streaming side.
I don't have time to watch everything made anyway, but there are still plenty of great films coming on disc. I doubt that will change in my lifetime - I'll be dead in 20 - 25 years. If they stop releasing films on disc in 10 years, I'll still have a huge collection of personally curated films that would take 5 years to re-watch at 3 - 4 a week ! 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal