The New Mutants (Blu-ray) review

The New Mutants (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 17, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »

Studio: Disney Media Networks
Release Date: November 17, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
In this action-filled film, five young people who demonstrate special powers are forced to undergo treatment at a secret institution – allegedly to cure them of the dangers of their powers. But it’s soon clear that their containment is part of a much bigger battle between the forces of good and evil!

My Thoughts
This was a film that was made a few years ago but has constantly been delayed for various reasons. In fact, it even went through some reshoots in order to make the film scarier. Then this little bug called Covid-19 came along and the film was delayed yet again until the end of summer (August 28, 2020, to be exact), although most theaters are closed in the US and the box office didn’t exactly set any records. In total, the film debut was rescheduled five time and now we finally get a home video release.

Unlike a fine wine, I’m not sure this movie got any better with time. While not bad, per se, it isn’t very memorable, and the characters are nothing to write home about. The story centers around a mysterious teen who has a hidden superpower that could potentially be dangerous to the world. She’s sent to a secret institution to be cured, but it’s obvious from the first scene in the building that all isn’t what it seems to be.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t sent the 4K for review. Regardless, the Blu-ray is very well done in both the audio and video departments. I especially loved the ample LFE in the DTS track.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features (Housed on Blu-ray):

• Origins & Influences – Legendary comics artist Bill Sienkiewicz and the filmmakers explore the origins and influences behind “The New Mutants.”
  • Meet the New Mutants – Cast members share their experiences while filming and reveal how they bonded as a family, much like the characters in the film.
  • Deleted Scenes
    • Roberto Suns & Dani Climbs
    • “She’s a Demon”
    • “Everybody’s Type” & Chores
    • Dani’s Nightmare – Alt
    • “I Need to Cool Off”
    • “We’re on Lockdown”
    • Take out the Source
  • Director Josh Boone Chats with Marvel Comics artist Bill Sienkiewicz
  • Blu-rah + Digital Code

Conclusion
I didn’t love this film and can see why it was such a low priority for finally getting released into theaters. The characters have virtually no depth to them and the story is somewhat predictable, but at lest the audio track kept things interesting. Give it a look via rental or streaming before committing to a purchase.  

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The New Mutants (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:16:19 AM »
Picture and sound were top notch 

The movie was terrible imho. The story was not straight forward. Rushed. And just bad. Not to mention WAY too risqué for a pg-13 movie. 

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
Picture and sound were top notch

The movie was terrible imho. The story was not straight forward. Rushed. And just bad. Not to mention WAY too risqué for a pg-13 movie.
That will be a pass for me then - thanks! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:28:17 PM »
That will be a pass for me then - thanks!
i read all the bad reviews, but im usually very eaasy to please, I dont always need oscar nominated movies lol.  But this was just bad. 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 12:30:21 PM »
i read all the bad reviews, but im usually very eaasy to please, I dont always need oscar nominated movies lol.  But this was just bad.
I was debating between 2.5 and 2.0 stars and gave it the benefit of the doubt. It may be the worst Marvel movie ever made though, but I haven't seen "Dark Phoenix" yet :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »
def worse than dark phoenix

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »
      Boy, you have to work very hard to be worse than Dark Phoenix. (Although the comic was highly celebrated.)

This movie was a victim of the purchase of Fox by Disney.  Fox really failed in their last two X-Men, or mutant movies. (This and DP). Originally, they wanted this to be the beginning of a “new line” of X-Men movies.

A major reason it was postponed was the Disney take over of the company.  They did not want this to compete with their Marvel movies so the kept delaying it. But no one was in love with this movie and Marvel just needed t get it out of their way. After all, the X-Men (new) will be introduced in the Marvel Universe. (Although everything is delayed now.)

BP personal view:  As we get further away from the conceptions of the original Marvel creators the quality of the stories and characters begin to decline.

PS: I am working with Marv Wolfman (creator of Blade) and Tony Isabella (Black Lightning) for an article based on my current blog at https://forbushman.blogspot.com/2020/11/black-lives-matter-even-in-comics.html

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:38:01 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I rated the same as you did but, probably liked it a tad more. I have a soft spot for Anya Taylor-Joy which probably made this one just a wee bit more enjoyable. 

Regards, 

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »

PS: I am working with Marv Wolfman (creator of Blade) and Tony Isabella (Black Lightning) for an article based on my current blog at https://forbushman.blogspot.com/2020/11/black-lives-matter-even-in-comics.html
Nice write up Barry.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 09:16:33 PM »
Wow Barry, that was a really great piece. Thank you for doing that, so much info and history, and really good nuances and points made there. Wonderful.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal