AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New Shelves

New Shelves
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
I've run out of space for movies, so I need to add some new shelves. I've removed and acoustic panel (I'll end up raising it above the shelves) and I'll be able to add close to 400 movies on the new ones. Here are before and after:

https://i.imgur.com/hjea1Zb.jpg
New Shelves

https://i.imgur.com/Gc9x7iD.jpg
New Shelves
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: New Shelves
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 09:03:41 PM »
Very nice ! I've been adding shelves for friend's " watch next " piles. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
OK...rehung the acoustical panel and added a couple of props:

https://i.imgur.com/uGNxQRR.jpg
New Shelves

https://i.imgur.com/hYJUXh0.jpg
New Shelves
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »
Very nice. Have you thought of putting all the discs in an album?
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
Looks great, David. How many K-Scape Vaults would you need for your entire collection? ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Very nice. Have you thought of putting all the discs in an album?
I haven't, but I like the look of the cases :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
Looks great, David. How many K-Scape Vaults would you need for your entire collection? ;)
I have no idea...I've been using the Blu-ray.com app to add all of my movies to a "collection" and still have a few hundred to go. I'll be in the neighborhood of 1,000-1,100 is my guess (and we can never find anything to watch ;)).
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
I have no idea...I've been using the Blu-ray.com app to add all of my movies to a "collection" and still have a few hundred to go. I'll be in the neighborhood of 1,000-1,100 is my guess (and we can never find anything to watch ;)).
I have a similar issue with my record collection (nothing to listen to). I use the Discogs app to inventory my collection. If I ever can't decide what album to spin, I shake my phone and it gives me a random pick from my collection.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
I became aware of Movie Collector earlier this year or so, and have used it to catalogue my collection.  When installed on my phone, I can use it to scan the Bar Code on the back of the cases, and it will recognize and then add the movie(s) to my collection.  It made the process extremely quick and efficient.

The PC Interface is awesome, and you can customize the appearance, sort and display using various criteria, etc.  I've really come to like it.

I am not familiar with the Blu-ray.com app, and perhaps it does the same, but just thought I'd throw this in there fwiw.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »
I became aware of Movie Collector earlier this year or so, and have used it to catalogue my collection.  When installed on my phone, I can use it to scan the Bar Code on the back of the cases, and it will recognize and then add the movie(s) to my collection.  It made the process extremely quick and efficient.

The PC Interface is awesome, and you can customize the appearance, sort and display using various criteria, etc.  I've really come to like it.

I am not familiar with the Blu-ray.com app, and perhaps it does the same, but just thought I'd throw this in there fwiw.
Their app does a similar thing but it has one big advantage....it's free :) Movie Collector looks pretty sweet though. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »
Their app does a similar thing but it has one big advantage....it's free :) Movie Collector looks pretty sweet though.
I forgot to mention that there is some cost, so thanks for bringing that up.

I'll have to take a look at the app you're using, just so see if it offers anything beyond what I have now - and you can't beat the cost!

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 02:25:53 PM »

I use Movie Collector too. I like it.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 04:55:03 PM »
My Home Theater room has built-in shelves in 3 walls, with each shelf about 4' high. I loved the shelves. However, I eventually ran out of room after accumulating over 1,000 movies. I also got tired of other family members putting movies back in non-alphabetical order, leaving me to alphabetize the movies every once in a while. So, I decided to "digitize" all my movies. I have two NAS devices, each running RAID. Each NAS has about 55 Terabytes of storage. The second NAS is just for backup. I spent too much time digitizing the movies and I don't want to start from scratch in case a NAS goes bad. It took a long time to transfer all my movies to hard disk, but now, whenever I buy a new movie, the first thing I do is digitize it, and the disc goes to my basement. I upgraded to 4K a couple of years ago, and I have only used my Panasonic 4K player for two movies. All the other times, I watch movies off hard disk (via Plex). Another advantage is I can watch the movies anywhere (other rooms in the house or even remotely via streaming). The main disadvantage of not using the disks is not having the bonus material. While I can also put bonus material in hard disk, it is very time consuming to deal with the bonus material.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal