• AV Science, Inc
Hereditary 4K Blu-ray
« on: October 30, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »
Hereditary 4K Blu-ray
Studio: Lionsgate Films 
Release Date: 2018 
Rating: R
Film: 4 / 5

Plot: Since I don’t want to give any spoilers, lets just say – a family drama regarding losing a loved one, followed by a family tragedy and mental illness ? Or demonic possession ? You’ll need to watch to find out ! 

My Thoughts – I loved Ari Aster’s Midsommar – a modern horror classic. This film was made first, so I really wanted to see what else this director has done. This is a slow burn, creepy family drama that slowly morphs into a disturbing supernatural horror film.  I liked it a lot. My guests did too. Not for non horror fans. Toni Collette’s performance is outstanding!

Video 4 / 5 – the picture looked excellent for the most part. Blacks could be better, but overall the detail and color were very good.

Audio 4.5 / 5 – this is one creepy soundtrack. LFE / bass is used extensively to create a tense and unsettling atmosphere. Dialog was crisp. Overall, a very effective soundtrack.

Conclusion – if you like horror, Ari Aster has made some really good films for you. In my opinion, this is a good scary watch !

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Focus ESL C18 center speaker, Motion EM FX2 surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS SB4000 subs
Four SVS SB2000 subs
Mini DSP HD controlling the subwoofers
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: Hereditary 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:45:51 PM »
Too creepy for my wife. She vetoed me requesting this one!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »
Too creepy for my wife. She vetoed me requesting this one!
It's creepy, and gory at times. Probably not your cup of tea ! 

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
I thought it was one of the best horror films in the past decade.  The acting is great, the premise builds slowly, and one scene is so brutal you can't believe they actually went there.

That said, the violence and gore isn't gratuitous, and it's not what makes the film so effective, it's just one element in a very well-put-together story.  It's one of those movies that could probably be considered "artsy" if it weren't for the subject matter.  It may very well remind you of another horror movie in that respect, but I'll withhold the title for fear of giving away any part of the story.

The less you know about it the more rewarding it will be.  Don't want to say too much more for fear of spoiling the experience.

Sadly, Aster has said that Midsommar would be his last movie in the horror genre.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
I thought it was one of the best horror films in the past decade.  The acting is great, the premise builds slowly, and one scene is so brutal you can't believe they actually went there.

That said, the violence and gore isn't gratuitous, and it's not what makes the film so effective, it's just one element in a very well-put-together story.  It's one of those movies that could probably be considered "artsy" if it weren't for the subject matter.  It may very well remind you of another horror movie in that respect, but I'll withhold the title for fear of giving away any part of the story.

The less you know about it the more rewarding it will be.  Don't want to say too much more for fear of spoiling the experience.

Sadly, Aster has said that Midsommar would be his last movie in the horror genre.

Scott
Too bad - I thought that was an excellent film. That said, I'll be interested to see whatever he does next. 
Best folks know as little as possible about both films going in. I like to blindside my friends with these. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal