AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Newbie Theater

Newbie Theater
« on: October 29, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
Hello All -  Long time follower and learned a lot form many of you in this hobby !   Time for me to ask experts for suggestions..

My basement "theater" room is about 13' x 18' with a 7' drop ceiling. A false wall was built back in 2012 with 18" deep and a stage about 13' x 3' wide filled with sand bags and 3/4" MDF .
My projector is JVC X550 / RS420 on a elite 100".. Polk Rti A9 as my mains and their Csi matching center, HSU VTF-3 MK2 (center and sub hidden behind the screen wall. All my surrounds are from polk mounted a the ear-level from MLP.. I may be moving to DIYSG 1099 mains and volts for surrounds, hopefully move to an AT screen as well, all that sometime next year !..
I recently acquired 2 Mini Marty's with UXL-18's , these cabs have about 24" deep, I'd like to put them behind the screen wall.. I understand that i need to remove the false wall and build one to accommodate the marty's, but questions are:
1. for the new false wall, how much more space do i need ?
2. Do i need to consider using double studs to make sure these 2 subs doesn't rattle / shake the screen at reference levels ?
3. What alternatives would you suggest to reduce the glare from white drop ceiling? I don't want to take up project to drywall my ceiling due to several reasons..

On a different note: with the dimensions mentioned above, do you see any benefit doing atmos with 9 channels vs 11 ?

Thanks and appreciate all your feedback..!

Re: Newbie Theater
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
My seating distance from the screen is about 10'.. 

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:38:58 PM »
Hello All -  Long time follower and learned a lot form many of you in this hobby !   Time for me to ask experts for suggestions..

My basement "theater" room is about 13' x 18' with a 7' drop ceiling. A false wall was built back in 2012 with 18" deep and a stage about 13' x 3' wide filled with sand bags and 3/4" MDF .
My projector is JVC X550 / RS420 on a elite 100".. Polk Rti A9 as my mains and their Csi matching center, HSU VTF-3 MK2 (center and sub hidden behind the screen wall. All my surrounds are from polk mounted a the ear-level from MLP.. I may be moving to DIYSG 1099 mains and volts for surrounds, hopefully move to an AT screen as well, all that sometime next year !..
I recently acquired 2 Mini Marty's with UXL-18's , these cabs have about 24" deep, I'd like to put them behind the screen wall.. I understand that i need to remove the false wall and build one to accommodate the marty's, but questions are:
1. for the new false wall, how much more space do i need ?
2. Do i need to consider using double studs to make sure these 2 subs doesn't rattle / shake the screen at reference levels ?
3. What alternatives would you suggest to reduce the glare from white drop ceiling? I don't want to take up project to drywall my ceiling due to several reasons..

On a different note: with the dimensions mentioned above, do you see any benefit doing atmos with 9 channels vs 11 ?

Thanks and appreciate all your feedback..!

1. If using a woven screen you only need a couple of inches between the screen and the speakers/subs, but the port can't be aimed at the screen. 

2. I would double the studs and maybe brace against back wall to minimize movement.

3. Paint grid black or cover grid with adhesive backed velvet tape. Wrap ceiling tile in black velvet.

What screen are you looking to use? Have you looked at our DreamScreen V6 and V7?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
Thank you Mike!.. i'll give you a call to discuss the dreamscreen material.

For celiing, i'm wondering if i should build out few 2' * 4' frames and wrap that with black velvet and hang it flush to the ceiling..!.For the floor, thinking about using black soft area rugs..  Hope these things would make some difference in the PQ..
Is there a noticeable difference in going from 7.2.2 to 7.2.4 for my room dimensions?

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
Thank you Mike!.. i'll give you a call to discuss the dreamscreen material.

For celiing, i'm wondering if i should build out few 2' * 4' frames and wrap that with black velvet and hang it flush to the ceiling..!.For the floor, thinking about using black soft area rugs..  Hope these things would make some difference in the PQ..
Is there a noticeable difference in going from 7.2.2 to 7.2.4 for my room dimensions?
Yes, both of those would work well. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »
I was able to make some progress with the changes. Moved the screen wall, now i have about 3ft of space behind the screen !..

I played around with the REW the first time, looking for your inputs on how the FR looks like.
Brown line is before EQ
Green line is after EQ
i'm loosing output above 80 or 85hz, which i think is okay because my mains would take it from there.. Am i thinking it right ?
What more can i do to make it better

Any recommendations on what Velvet to get for covering around the screen wall and ceiling?

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal