AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Lawrence of Arabia: 4K/Dolby Atmos

Barry

« on: September 23, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »

Lawrence of Arabian and five other films, are presented in “Columbia Classics” which sold on Amazon for $100.

Laurence of Arabia is a film that could not be filmed today, at least not without CGI, and would NOT be made today because of the deliberate pacing in storytelling. The movie is 3 hours and 46 minutes, complete with entry, intermission and exit music. The cinematography is spectacular going form one incredible scene to another.

Lawrence of Arabia is a 1962 British historical film based on the life of T. E. Lawrence. It was directed by David Lean.  The film stars Peter O’Toole with Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, Anthony Quinn, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quayle, Claude Rains, and Arthur Kennedy.  The film is about Lawrence's experiences in the Ottoman Empire's provinces of Hejaz and Greater Syria during World War I, in particular his attacks on Aqaba and Damascus for a warrior, Lawrence struggles with the personal violence and killing and his divided feeling between his British homeland and his new Arab.

The 4K edition is spectacular and I compared it to the Blu Ray that comes with it. The colors really stand out and the detail is fantastic. This movie should ONLY be seen on a large screen, it was shot in 70mm.  The desert scenes are impressive, but out of the dessert the colors stood out.

The 7.1 Atmos track is startling better than the 5.1 on the Bu Ray and boy does it fill up the room especially with the musical soundtrack.  It is hard to believe that this is a 60-year-old movie.  For broadcast TV and cable viewing nearly 30 minutes of the movie had been cut out, it is now restored to its original length.

As mentioned, the movie is paced very, very slowly and on 4K it takes up two discs and I took two nights to watch it. If made today, I am sure it would have been two sperate movies,  Lawrence Part I and Part II. I toughly enjoyed, but, I must confess, I felt like fast forwarding the voyage through the desert a few times.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Lawrence of Arabia: 4K/Dolby Atmos
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »
Thanks Barry for your review. I enjoyed this movie many years ago. I will have to revisit it again but I will have to take it in two days now.. lol. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
Watched this a few weeks ago, though I bought it on iTunes. (Just couldn't get over spending $107 at the time for the set on disc, vs 7.99 for digital. Especially for a movie I've bought before in at least one deluxe box.) 

There was a deleted "balcony scene" in the extras that I thought was very interesting. They couldn't include it in the full movie b/c the audio had been lost and while O'Toole was around to redo his lines, the actor playing General Allenby was dead. They used someone else to recreate his dialog but the studio apparently didn't even really try to match Jack Hawkins. That's too bad b/c for me that scene really added some depth to the relationship between Lawrence and Allenby.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
You guys are funny. I've watched the 4K Blu-ray twice now - the picture is astounding at times, as is the audio. Had friends over to watch it - we did a 3pm Sat afternoon matinee, with snacks and a magnum of Napa chardonnay in an ice bucket. Since it's on two discs, it has a built in restroom break. It's not as long as my John Wick or Deadpool Double Features ! 

You should ready the book. I read the abridged " Revolt In The Desert " for the first time, right after watching the 4K disc the first time. Now I have the unabridged " Seven Pillars Of Wisdom " to read next. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
Thanks Barry for your review. I enjoyed this movie many years ago. I will have to revisit it again but I will have to take it in two days now.. lol. :)
I am a two nighter also
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
Way too long of movie...I've seen it once, that was enough for me. It's well done, but I've had relationships that haven't lasted as long as this movie ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Way too long of movie...I've seen it once, that was enough for me. It's well done, but I've had relationships that haven't lasted as long as this movie ;)
It was 2 movies to me. But not one that I would repeatedly watch.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 11:39:11 AM »
It was 2 movies to me. But not one that I would repeatedly watch.
No, but I'll watch it again in a couple of years. I doubt they will ever top the current 4K BR for picture and sound quality. No doubt I'll revisit it a couple of times before I'm dead in 20 years.

tripplej

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
Barry, looking forward to the other reviews on that box set.. I suspect Gandhi will be a 2 day movie event as well. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
Barry, looking forward to the other reviews on that box set.. I suspect Gandhi will be a 2 day movie event as well. :)
JJJ, I will post as I see them. Tonight is probably A League of Their Own. Gandhi is a weekend movie!

tripplej

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »
Looking forward to the reviews Barry. Gandhi is a great movie. I remember seeing that in the movie theater and it was the first time in my life that there was intermission and everybody went out for bathroom break or to get snacks. Amazing.. Anyways, enjoyed the movie and I suspect this version will be just as good.

Barry

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 03:59:43 PM »
Ghandi, probably tonight. But also probably 2nights

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 01:49:39 AM »
seen it at 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo SR at Odeon Marble Arch on its reissue opening day, 11/6/89 Sunday. Sat front and centre. Heard directional dialogue made it seem sound better than most movies with centre mono dialogue. Know how it sounds.

Okay so lets now have Review of Overhead surrounds atmos upmix since this is really what the movie is about.  
I want you to undo the rest of the speakers mute them. I want your review on the overhead surrounds. Also how many overhead do you have Height 1 2 and 3? I want hear the whole review 3hrs of the overhead surround before I even decide on considering to buy a movie from sony that are notorious for doing near field remixes that are totally unnecessary for home release playback.    

So 3hr review of your overheads Video only. 
i like cats . i don't like people who don't

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »
seen it at 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo SR at Odeon Marble Arch on its reissue opening day, 11/6/89 Sunday. Sat front and centre. Heard directional dialogue made it seem sound better than most movies with centre mono dialogue. Know how it sounds.

Okay so lets now have Review of Overhead surrounds atmos upmix since this is really what the movie is about. 
I want you to undo the rest of the speakers mute them. I want your review on the overhead surrounds. Also how many overhead do you have Height 1 2 and 3? I want hear the whole review 3hrs of the overhead surround before I even decide on considering to buy a movie from sony that are notorious for doing near field remixes that are totally unnecessary for home release playback.   

So 3hr review of your overheads Video only.
For me the movie on 4K BR is about the incredible picture quality they have given us finally. If you want to sit and listen to only the Atmos ceiling speakers for 3 1/2 hours, be my guest. 

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »
Still not available here in Australia 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal