Outlander: Season Five (Blu-ray) review

Outlander: Season Five (Blu-ray) review
« on: September 19, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »

Studio: Starz / Sony Pictures      
 Release Date: September 15, 2020
Rating:  Not Rated
Film:  4.5/5

Plot
 The fifth season of OUTLANDER sees a continuation of Claire (Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie’s (Sam Heughan) fight to protect those they love, as they navigate the trials and tribulations of life in colonial America. The Frasers strive to flourish within a society which is unwittingly marching towards Revolution, and Jamie must now defend the home they have built together at Fraser’s Ridge while Claire seeks to put her own skills and medical expertise to use in keeping her family together and safe from harm. Meanwhile Brianna Fraser (Sophie Skelton) and Roger MacKenzie (Richard Rankin) struggle to find their respective places in this world and chase away the shadow cast upon their lives by Stephen Bonnet(Edward Speleers) as they raise their son in this brave new world. For the Frasers and their family, “home” is more than simply a site in which they live, it is the place in which they are laying the foundations for the rest of their lives.

My Thoughts
 The fifth season of is based on The Fiery Cross, the fifth of eight books (soon to be nine) in Diana Gabaldon’s international best-selling Outlander series. Frankly, this is one of the strongest shows on TV that features an outstanding cast and some extremely well written episodes that tackle some emotional topics such as revenge, rape, honor, and duty. My wife and daughter are both huge fans of the show and in all honesty, it has grown on me over the years and look forward to watching new episodes on Starz when the series is “in season.”

The production value of the show is through the roof and it transports you back to pre-revolution America. The costume design is authentic and the lead-up to the revolutionary war gives you a brief history lesson as well of life in the Carolinas.

The audio and video are consistent with the previous three seasons, which means it looks and sounds great.

Video 4.5/5 

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Four Never-Before-Seen “Outlander Untold” Bonus Scenes
  • BlooperReel·Featurette: “Strength in Action: The Women of Outlander”
  • Featurette: “Through Fire & Hell: The Finale”
  • “Flowers of the Forest”: Lyric Video
  • At Home with Adso

Conclusion
 This is one of the better shows on pay TV and has been renewed through Season 6. It’s arguably the best show Starz has ever produced and if it were on HBO I bet it would have millions more viewers and win countless Emmys. The Season Five set includes all 12 episodes spread over four discs in addition to the bonus features, but sadly, there’s no Digital Copy included for the first time (one came with the first four seasons), which is really disappointing because it’s a show that my wife would probably like to revisit as some point and having the convenience of watching it wherever you are in the world is a nice bonus. Regardless of this oversight, I can’t recommend this show enough. It’s one of our favorites.   

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

Re: Outlander: Season Five (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
I subscribe to Starz for this show alone.

Caitriona Balfe is a talented, and gorgeous, actress.   

I thought she stole every scene in which she appeared in Ford v Ferrari.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
I subscribe to Starz for this show alone.

Caitriona Balfe is a talented, and gorgeous, actress. 

I thought she stole every scene in which she appeared in Ford v Ferrari.
Totally agree. She is fantastic. She should win an Emmy for this season given what her character went through. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
I love Diana Gabaldon's books and have been a faithful reader for a very long time. I have been able to watch seasons 1-3 of Outlander and they are very true to the books. The only noticeable difference is that Jamie (in the books) is supposed to be a very large man with bright red hair - hence the moniker "Jamie the Red".  Sam Heughan is no where near that in coloring or stature, but he plays the part magnificently in all other aspects. Caitriona Balfe is extraordinary as Claire - exactly as I would have pictured her prior to the series.
The new "big book" as Diana calls them, is highly anticipated and long overdue; they usually take her 4 years to write, but it has been at least 6 years for this one - guess she has been a little busy with filming.
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal