« on: September 07, 2020, 07:59:21 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/s6mBgbB.jpg
Ghost in the Shell (UHD Blu-ray) review

Studio: Lionsgate
Release: Date: September 8, 2020
Rating: Not Rated
Film: 4/5

Plot
2029: A female cybernetic government agent, Major Motoko Kusanagi, and the Internal Bureau of Investigations are hot on the trail of “The Puppet Master,” a mysterious and threatening computer virus capable of infiltrating human hosts. Together with her fellow agents from Section 9, Kusanagi embarks on a high-tech race against time to capture the omnipresent entity. Director Mamoru Oshii’s award-winning cyber-tech thriller, based on the comic book by Shirow Masamune, is lauded as one of the leading Japanese animation films of all time.

My Thoughts
My only exposure to this film was the live action movie a few years ago, which was at best a middling affair. I have always wondered if something was lost in translation from the classic animated tale and after investing the time to watch it, I came away with a resounding “yes.” The story dives into philosophical themes of humanity and what it means to be alive. Furthermore, the animation is off the charts in its depth and detail and is worth watching for this alone.

The A/V presentation is excellent, and they’ve done a great job for the 4K presentation. The disc features both HDR-10 and Dolby Vision encodes, of which I chose the latter to watch using a HD Fury to “trick” my JVC projector into accepting the signal and I found the encode to be mesmerizing. What really stood out in the presentation is the shadow detail in the animation, which is excellent. This made the presentation almost 3D-like.

The Atmos track is very active, especially with the overhead effects, and places you inside the animated world. A plethora of discrete effects help create an immersive environment.

Video 9/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
• “Accessing Section 9; 25 Years into the Future” Featurette
• “Landscapes& Dreamscapes: The Art and Architecture of Ghost in the Shell” Featurette
• Production Report and Digital Works featurettes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I wasn’t expecting much going into this but enjoyed the experience. It helps that the story is tightly written and keeps the pacing brisk throughout its 82-minute runtime. Furthermore, it’s the type of story that can be watched a second time to delve into the deeper themes presented and having an outstanding presentation in 4K definitely helps. Recommended for fans. 

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays Calman color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:41:14 AM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal