Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (UHD Blu-ray) review

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:07:53 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers      
 Release Date: September 1, 2020
Rating:  PG-13
Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 Around the globe, headlines break the news: a scandal takes down an Indian cotton tycoon; a Chinese opium trader dies of an apparent overdose; bombings in Strasbourg and Vienna; the death of an American steel magnate... no one sees the connective thread between these seemingly random events—no one, that is, except the great Sherlock Holmes, who has discerned a deliberate web of death and destruction. At its center sits a singularly sinister spider: Moriarty. Holmes’ investigation into Moriarty’s plot becomes more dangerous as it leads him and Watson out of London to France, Germany and finally Switzerland. But the cunning Moriarty is always one step ahead and moving perilously close to completing his ominous plan. If he succeeds, it will not only bring him immense wealth and power but alter the course of history.

My Thoughts
 I enjoyed the original Sherlock Holmes reboot better upon a subsequent viewing and the same can be said here, although I’m not fond of what director Guy Ritchie has done to the classic literary character. Sure, he’s still very cerebral and sees things that others miss, but he’s not supposed to be an action hero and that’s what the director has turned him in to. Regardless, the action sequences are well shot and while the storyline can be a bit confusing and hard to follow, it is better the second time through even though it has been 8 years or so since I first watched it.

I found this presentation to be slightly superior over Sherlock Holmes, mainly because this one is scope and not 16x9—upgrading to a scope screen has been one of my favorite upgrades of all time! Detail is taken up a notch over the Blu-ray and I found the shadow detail to be improved. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is very immersive (it would sound amazing in Atmos!) and makes good use of the LFE channel.  

Video 8.5/10 

Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Legacy Bonus features on the Blu-ray
·        Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 If you liked the first Sherlock Holmes, you'll probably enjoy this one as well. I personally thought that about 15 minutes could have been edited out of the film to help the pacing, but I'm not a high-priced Hollywood movie mogul, so what do I know? The upgrade to 4K isn’t Earth-shattering, but I’m sure this will be on sale at some point in the future and if you’re a fan of the movie the upgrade may be worth it to you.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal