AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New JVC Theater Optimizer

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
New JVC Theater Optimizer
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
This is going to be an amazing firmware upgrade ! For new and existing RS1000 / 2000 / 3000 / NX5 / NX7 / NX9 projector owners ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: New JVC Theater Optimizer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 12:51:29 PM »
Additional info -

" One of the key benefits for any projector customer is that the Theater Optimizer helps to improve the available brightness with any HDR content "

" On the RS2000/3000, adding new color profile so you can do max brightness (no CMS) with and without the color filter engaged, for a customer with an external CMS like Lumagen "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do calibration, then you really don’t need screen codes, so turn them off before calibration.

If the screen code is not listed then there are several basic screen codes you can choose from based on screen characteristics and the color push you want to counter:

·  :OFF

·  1:Correct to give a reddish tinge

·  2:Correct to give a greenish tinge

·  3:Correct to give a bluish tinge

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:26:51 PM by AVSCraig »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
You will have to setup a 3D mode to your liking, but then you will be able to save that in the memory so that the projector automatically goes to that when it sees a 3D signal.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
As I said in another post, this saved me $5000. I've always been a fan of JVC projectors, but they now have a lifelong customer due to this upgrade that isn't costing us any $$$. Well done JVC!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
As I said in another post, this saved me $5000. I've always been a fan of JVC projectors, but they now have a lifelong customer due to this upgrade that isn't costing us any $$$. Well done JVC!
I have been seriously entertaining the thought of adding a Lumagen or MadVR Envy to my system to really max out HDR performance (as well as gaining the upscaling and aspect ratio recognition benefits).

I am extremely curious about how HDR performance with this new firmware will compare with the DTM aspect of either of those external video processors.  Unfortunately, it will be a while before anybody will really know.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »
I have been seriously entertaining the thought of adding a Lumagen or MadVR Envy to my system to really max out HDR performance (as well as gaining the upscaling and aspect ratio recognition benefits).

I am extremely curious about how HDR performance with this new firmware will compare with the DTM aspect of either of those external video processors.  Unfortunately, it will be a while before anybody will really know.
It will probably be the end of the year, or almost. I am really happy with my Lumagen though. With auto aspect ratio detection and other features, it's hard to beat. Plus, Lumagen is working on new improvements as we speak !  

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
New JVC Theater Optimizer - Mike Garrett & Chris Deutsch of JVC Q&A session
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
Ok, I don't want anybody thinking that I suddenly got all technical and smart about the stuff we sell, just because I am posting in this thread.  It might happen someday ... when you see pigs starting to fly, check back with me.  ;)

But, it just so happens that I know people that ARE really technical and smart!  Check out this video with Chris Deutsch from JVC about the new features and some great information that wasn't even in their press release.

JVC Frame Adapt HDR Theater Optimizer Q&A

Contact Mike or Craig if you would like to discuss further.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:08:41 PM by AVSLaurie »
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 12:17:14 PM »
The press release mentions DolbyVision.  I am curious as to what that means.  It would be nice to keep my sources set to enable DolbyVision, as they are shared by the TV and the projector.  So does the new firmware properly receive DV signal and then process it to HDR?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
The press release mentions DolbyVision.  I am curious as to what that means.  It would be nice to keep my sources set to enable DolbyVision, as they are shared by the TV and the projector.  So does the new firmware properly receive DV signal and then process it to HDR?
I doubt it. Dolby Vision is on top of HDR10 - so the projector will dynamic tone map the base HDR10. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon. It works the same with my Lumagen. 

AVSMike

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 02:47:01 PM »
I doubt it. Dolby Vision is on top of HDR10 - so the projector will dynamic tone map the base HDR10. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon. It works the same with my Lumagen.

That is my understanding also.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »
Interesting.  My RS2000 can’t handle the DolbyVision signal from the Apple TV.  The image looks a bit like a cartoon. When I turn off DolbyVision, everything goes back to normal.  

Also, could there be a chance given the went through the effort of calling out DV explicitly?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
Interesting.  My RS2000 can’t handle the DolbyVision signal from the Apple TV.  The image looks a bit like a cartoon. When I turn off DolbyVision, everything goes back to normal. 

Also, could there be a chance given the went through the effort of calling out DV explicitly?
When it looks like a cartoon, have you checked to see if the projector is on an SDR picture mode? Maybe the Apple TV setting isn't triggering the HDR mode.

AVSMike

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:07:04 PM »
Interesting.  My RS2000 can’t handle the DolbyVision signal from the Apple TV.  The image looks a bit like a cartoon. When I turn off DolbyVision, everything goes back to normal. 

Are you sure it was an HDR source? Could it have just been a 4K source? If you use HDR settings on an SDR source, the colors will be exaggerated. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »
Are you sure it was an HDR source? Could it have just been a 4K source? If you use HDR settings on an SDR source, the colors will be exaggerated.
Hi. Not the case.  Apple TV is set to only output hdr, as is my pan you player.   HDfury flashes the signal data for the first twenty seconds.  Correcting the issue takes only disabling DV on the Apple TV.  In either case, time will tell.  Looking forward to the update.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
Craig/Mike,

Not sure how much pull you have with JVC, but given the effort that have put into lens memory, perhaps you can pass on the following feedback:

**It Would be highly beneficial to have screen size tied to installation mode (i.e., you can set the screen size for each installation mode).

This would ensure that the calculations the projector does for theater optimization are always maximized for people that use the Zoom method for scope screens.  For example, in my current setup, my 16:9 equivalent in scope mode is 130”.  My hdtv screen size (black bars left and right) is 98”.  I assume that big of a difference would have an effect on theater optimizer.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal