Sherlock Holmes (UHD Blu-ray) review

Sherlock Holmes (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 02, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers      
 Release Date: September 1, 2020
Rating:  PG-13
Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 With the aid of his trusted ally Dr. John Watson (Jude Law), Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) is unequaled in his pursuit of criminals. After a string of ritualistic murders, the pair arrives just in time to save the latest victim and uncover the killer: Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong). He is sentenced to death but warns Holmes that death has no power over him, and he will rise again. It turns out he wasn't lying.

My Thoughts
 I’m not sure Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would approve of this modernized take on the iconic character of Sherlock Holmes, but it turns out he can be one hell of an action hero. It has been about 10 years since seeing this on Blu-ray and I didn’t remember much, if any, of the plot going in. As things proceeded, I started to put the pieces together and while not a great movie, it is a fun ride and Downey Jr. is at the top of his game. The film did well enough to spawn a sequel (review forthcoming), but with its star preoccupied with another iconic character over the next nine years, the franchise stopped at two films.  

I wouldn’t say the jump in quality on the UHD is that much greater than what can be found on Blu-ray, especially since the audio is identical. The video transfer is upscales from a 2K master, so there’s slightly better detail but nothing earth-shattering. The audio track has its moments and Hans Zimmer’s score is excellent, but the mixing can be a bit overpowering when the music takes center stage.

Video 8/10 

Audio 8/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Sherlock Holmes Reinvented
·        Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 The best thing about this film is it raised interest in the character for modern audiences and probably helped BBC in deciding to greenlight the excellent Sherlock TV show a few years later, which is vastly superior to this film. Regardless, it’s a fun adventure ride and while I wouldn’t call it great cinema, there are worst ways to spend the evening.    

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Sherlock Holmes (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »
Thanks David. I like this movie, but maybe not enough to buy the 4K disc. I will however put the Blu-ray in my " watch again soon " pile ( it's a big pile ). 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks David. I like this movie, but maybe not enough to buy the 4K disc. I will however put the Blu-ray in my " watch again soon " pile ( it's a big pile ).
I enjoyed it more today than I did 10 years ago, but the show Sherlock is definitely superior. Have you seen that?
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
I enjoyed it more today than I did 10 years ago, but the show Sherlock is definitely superior. Have you seen that?
No, I have not. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
Which series are you referring to? I love the BBC version, each season is only 3 episodes but with an average run time of about an hour and a half it makes up for the low episode count. Im not sure the name of the guy who plays Moriarti but he does an amazing job especially with the strong cast he has around him. The CBS version is also a good watch in my opinion, but BBC is better. 

claw

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »
All four seasons of the BBC produced Sherlock series are available on Netflix.    Great casting...

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson, and Andrew Scott as Moriarty.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70202589

JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »
Which series are you referring to? I love the BBC version, each season is only 3 episodes but with an average run time of about an hour and a half it makes up for the low episode count. Im not sure the name of the guy who plays Moriarti but he does an amazing job especially with the strong cast he has around him. The CBS version is also a good watch in my opinion, but BBC is better.
BBC version...simply an amazing show and I agree regarding the casting. Top notch.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
All four seasons of the BBC produced Sherlock series are available on Netflix.    Great casting...

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson, and Andrew Scott as Moriarty.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70202589
Totally agree Claw. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:56:56 PM »
I've loved both of the films in this series since getting them on Blu-ray a while back.

My wife, who isn't much of an action film fan but is a fan of the Holmes written stories, asks to see them again every year or so - she has no problem with the action film aspect, which, if you watched the extras on the first film's Blu-ray, they anchor in the written stories' portrayal of Holmes as being an expert in a particular form of martial arts.

I am disappointed in the absence of remixing for Atmos or DTS:X, but my AVR's Neural:X upmixer is very good.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal