The High Note (Blu-ray) review

The High Note (Blu-ray) review
« on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:33 PM »

Studio: Universal   
 Release Date: August 11, 2020
Rating:  PG-13
Film:  4/5

Plot
 Set in the dazzling world of the LA music scene comes the story of Grace Davis (Ross), a superstar whose talent, and ego, have reached unbelievable heights. Maggie (Johnson) is Grace’s overworked personal assistant who’s stuck running errands, but still aspires to her childhood dream of becoming a music producer. When Grace’s manager (Ice Cube) presents her with a choice that could alter the course of her career, Grace must choose between playing it safe or listening to her heart in a decision that could change her life forever.

My Thoughts
 They say in life that timing is everything. Unfortunately for a lot of movies this year, timing has not worked for them since Covid-19 hit the world. This is one of those films that was supposed to come out in late May—when theaters were still closed—and instead of putting it on the shelf for a later date, Universal decided to release it exclusively to digital since the Trolls sequel broke all sorts of records. While this film didn’t do nearly as well as Trolls World Tour, it did crack the top 10 for the week of July 30 “Watched at Home Top 20” list. Whether it was profitable or not, that’s a different story.

Regardless, this is the type of film I typically enjoy but won’t venture out to the theater to see. Watching it in my own theater was a pleasantly surprising experience. My good friend Ralph Potts described to movie as having a slightly “Lifetime” mojo, which I agree with, but the characters are well crafted, and I really enjoyed Dakota Johnson’s performance—maybe a first for me!

Given the roots of the film, I guess asking for a 4K copy was a bit much, but I would have loved to have seen this with as much detail as possible. It was shot with a 6.5K Arri Alexa camera and features a true 4K master (downrezed to 1080p for this Blu-ray release). I have no complaints at all with the video quality on this disc other than the lack of its full resolution. The audio track isn’t in Atmos—sadly—but the 7.1 track is outstanding. It’s a full-bodied mix with tons of energy, especially the musical sequences, and I really love how active the surround channels are. It’s sad this didn’t get the A-list treatment with 4K and Atmos, so a .25 deduction for both Audio and Video is warranted just to send a message.

Video 4.75/5 

Audio 4.75/5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features:

·        Deleted Scenes
·        The Dream Team: Inside the Creation of The High Note
·        Making a Legend: The Grace Davis Story
·        Like I Do: Original Song Music Video
·        Digital Code

Conclusion
 I like movies with explosions and action as much as the next guy, but sometimes a nice feel good story can be just as enjoyable if you’re in the right mood. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this but was pleasantly surprised by the screenplay and especially loved the presentation on Blu-ray. If you’re starved for some feature film content, definitely check this one out.   

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: The High Note (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 03:55:30 PM »
I'll have to check this out. Dakota Johnson was good in " Bad Times At The El Royale " I thought. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
I saw the trailer for this and was interested in checking it out. I like some blockbusters but also more "human sized" stories too. 

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:07:12 PM »
I'll have to check this out. Dakota Johnson was good in " Bad Times At The El Royale " I thought.
I didn't see that movie. I had requested it, but it never showed up from the studio. Is it any good?
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
I didn't see that movie. I had requested it, but it never showed up from the studio. Is it any good?
I loved it. The soundtrack is great, the story is good, and every one of my guests that has seen it loved it. I've watched it several times. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »
I loved it. The soundtrack is great, the story is good, and every one of my guests that has seen it loved it. I've watched it several times.
Totally agree - some awesome music in the soundtrack!

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
Greetings,

I liked it Dave. Well worth your time especially at the right price. Nice review of The High Note and I am glad that you enjoyed it too.. ;)

Regards,

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
Greetings,

I liked it Dave. Well worth your time especially at the right price. Nice review of The High Note and I am glad that you enjoyed it too.. ;)

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in Ralph.
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal