Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season Two (Blu-ray) review

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season Two (Blu-ray) review
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »

Studio: Paramount   
Release Date: August 4, 2020
Rating: Not Rated
Film: 3/5

Plot
After tracking a potentially suspicious shipment of illegal arms in the Venezuelan jungle, CIA Officer Jack Ryan, portrayed by John Krasinski, heads down to South America to investigate. There je joins forces with his former boss James Greer and CIA Station Chief Mike November. As Jack’s investigation threatens to uncover a far-reaching conspiracy, the President of Venezuela launches a counter-attack that hits home for Jack, leading him and his fellow operatives on a global mission spanning the US, UK, Russia, and Venezuela to unravel the President’s nefarious plot and bring stability to a country on the brink of chaos.

My Thoughts
For many years, Tom Clancy was my favorite author and I would buy his new books the day they were released to bookstores. You could say that Jack Ryan and I kind of grew up together and to say I understand the character would be an understatement. That’s what’s most disappointing about the second season of this show—the Jack Ryan portrayed here is more like James Bond and nothing like the Ryan I know. Furthermore, the writers have tens of thousands of pages of stories to use yet they decide to create their own story, which doesn’t make any sense.

The story for season two is decent, but I wouldn’t call it memorable nor particularly exciting (unlike season one). Ryan’s love interest is gone with no explanation given and he makes some choices that frankly make the viewer question his actual intelligence. Regardless, I chose to continue watching and convinced myself that it was a completely different Jack Ryan and I watching and stopped comparing him to the novels.

Video 4.5/5 
Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
·        Deleted Scenes

Conclusion
Thankfully, there will be new showrunners for season three and hopefully that will help the story get back on track. I hope the new producers go back to the roots of the character and use the vast amount of material at their disposal to come up with a storyline that will tie into today’s world events. Regardless, if you enjoyed season one you’ll probably get something out of the second season, but the story is much more far-fetched and the main character isn’t himself.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season Two (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »
I liked season 2, but it took 3 episodes to warm up to it. Not as good as season 1, but still a fun watch. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal