Scoob! (UHD Blu-ray) review

Scoob! (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »

Studio: Warner     
 Release Date: July 21, 2020
Rating:  PG
Film:  2.5/5

Plot
 In Scooby-Doo's greatest adventure yet, see the never-before told story of how lifelong friends Scooby and Shaggy first met and how they joined forces with young detectives Fred, Velma and Daphne to form the famous Mystery Inc. Now, with hundreds of cases solved, Scooby and the gang face their biggest, toughest mystery ever: an evil plot to unleash the ghost dog Cerberus upon the world. As they race to stop this global “dogpocalypse,” the gang discovers that Scooby has a secret legacy and an epic destiny greater than anyone ever imagined.

My Thoughts
 This is not the typical movie I’d request to review, but due to Covid-19 and the lack of titles coming across my desk I figured I’d give it a shot. I grew up watching Scooby Doo and can’t say I was a huge fan of the generic scripts from week to week watching them on Saturday mornings, but I didn’t dislike the show. When the live action movies were released around the turn of the century, they didn’t do much to move the characters forward and so I went into this one with very low expectations.

Out of the gate, the show certainly shows that it’s going to cater to young kids—which is perfectly fine—but they don’t do much to keep the parents engaged like we’ve come to expect from Pixar and Dreamworks productions. Regardless, the film is harmless fun and I have to admit that my wife and I did laugh-out-loud a couple of times but there were plenty of eye rolls too.

One thing that was impressive was the A/V presentation, which was outstanding. The animation is crystal clear and sharp and the colors certainly pop. At times, it looks 3D due to the phenomenal depth. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is quite aggressive for a kids title and gives the LFE channel quite a workout.

Video 9.5/10 

Audio 9.5/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Bloopers
·        Deleted Scenes
·        How To Draw Scooby Doo
·        New Friends, Newer Villains
·        Puppies!!
·        Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 While this isn’t great cinema by any stretch, parents (or grandparents) with young kids have something to share with the younglings during the pandemic. This was slated for theatrical release but with the theaters shuttered throughout most of the country the studio decided to send it straight to video. Will there be another down the line? Hard to say—the ended with that in mind but I’m not sure today’s kids find the show as entertaining as previous generations. On the plus side, the A/V presentation is excellent.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Scoob! (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
Greetings,

Your take is pretty much identical to mine Dave. *YAWN*

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal