AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Oldboy ( 2003 ) Blu - ray
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:40:35 PM »
Oldboy ( 2003 ) Blu - ray

Studio: Tartan Video
Release Date: Nov 06, 2007 
Rating:  Rated R - Violent and definitely not for the squeamish !
Film: 4.5 / 5 

Plot : In 1988, a businessman named Oh Dae-su is arrested for drunkenness, on the night of his daughter's fourth birthday. After his friend Joo-hwan picks him up from the police station, Dae-su disappears and wakes up in a sealed hotel room, which is a private prison. His food is delivered through a trap-door and he has no contact with other people, since a valium gas is pumped into the room prior to it being cleaned or his clothes being changed. Watching TV, Dae-su learns that his wife has been murdered and he is the prime suspect. He is kept in this prison for 15 years, then suddenly allowed to escape, and given a cell phone, money, and 5 days to find out who kidnapped him and why.

My Thoughts : I had read about this film for quite some time, but only recently acquired the Blu – ray after watching “ Parasite “. I wanted to catch up on some Korean films ( I have a few ) and finally had a chance to watch it. Wow – this may be one of the most diabolical revenge / thrillers with the most twisted ending I’ve ever seen. From Wikpedia –

“ The film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and high praise from the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino. The film has been well received by critics in the United States, with film critic Roger Ebert stating that Oldboy is a "powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare". “ .

I’ll agree with this critic too – “ Oldboy still stands up as a modern revenge masterpiece, full of extreme violence and brutal shocks but with heart and a story that draws you in and keeps you invested with every twist and turn. “

This film kept me gripped to the screen with really no clue where the plot would take poor Oh Dae-su. Having grown up with many revenge films including the classic westerns ( which are really mostly revenge movies ) I have to say Oldboy is on another level.  I plan on watching this again with friends that haven’t seen it. Excellent film !

Video 3.75 / 5  This looks pretty good on Blu – ray most of the time. I’m getting spoiled by 4K releases, but the Blu-ray looks decent overall. Not sure about streaming - if it's available.

Audio 4 / 5  - The 7.1 DTS-HD soundtrack sounds great. Great soundtrack too ! 

Conclusion : a raw violent convoluted Tarantino like revenge thriller directed by the producer of “ Snowpiercer “ and starring Choi Min-sik of “ Lucy “ ( Mr. Jang ) an The Admiral: Roaring Currents “.  

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FX surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subs
Four SVS SB2000 subs
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

claw

Re: Oldboy ( 2003 ) Blu - ray
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
Yes, I have been meaning to rent this disc from 3D-BluRayRental.

When I looked up this title, I was surprised to see that Spike Lee directed a remake of this film with Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, and Elizabeth Olsen.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oldboy-Blu-ray/93775/

JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Oldboy ( 2003 ) Blu - ray
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 11:11:30 AM »
Yes, I have been meaning to rent this disc from 3D-BluRayRental.

When I looked up this title, I was surprised to see that Spike Lee directed a remake of this film with Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, and Elizabeth Olsen.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oldboy-Blu-ray/93775/

The remake was apparently disappointing - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oldboy_2013

I
'm giving the remake a hard pass. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal