Jaws - 45th Anniversary Limited Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review

https://i.imgur.com/Hs5BZSF.jpg
Jaws - 45th Anniversary Limited Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review

Studio: Universal 
Release Date: June 2, 2020
Rating: PG
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
When the seaside community of Amity finds itself under attack by a dangerous great white shark, the town's chief of police, a young marine biologist and a grizzled shark hunter embark on a desperate quest to destroy the beast before it strikes again. Featuring an unforgettable score that evokes pure terror, Jaws remains one of the most influential and gripping adventures in motion picture history.

My Thoughts
The last time I watched this was probably eight years ago when it was released on Blu-ray. Before that, it had been decades since watching it in theaters back in 1975 at the ripe old age of 6 and to this day, I can’t help but think of this movie whenever I go into the ocean. You can’t say that many movies has that sort of impact on you for virtually your entire life.

When the film was released back in 1975, it became the first of scores of summer blockbuster tentpole titles put some butts in the theaters. What I can say is after 45 years, the film still has enough meat on the bones to satisfy everyone. The younger generation may not have the patience for the slow burn, but the third act is well worth the wait and there are some great one liners throughout the film that break the tension and provide some much needed laughs given the weighty subject matter. It’s hard to believe that this was Spielberg’s second film of what would become one of the best careers in Hollywood history.

I raved about the Blu-ray back in 2012 and the UHD definitely takes it up a notch. The detail is off the charts and the natural film grain is preserved to perfection along with colors that are pinpoint accurate and mesmerizing—particularly the rich blue hues of the sky during the beach scenes. Minute details such as flesh tones and fabric have lifelike textures making you want to reach into the screen and touch. The slight black crush that was on the Blu-ray is gone and this is by far the best it’s ever looked—maybe even better than in the theaters 45 years ago.

Remixing an original stereo source up to Atmos couldn’t have been easy, but the sound engineers worked a minor miracle here. The soundtrack is very active—particularly the overheads—and John Williams’ Oscar-winning score has never sounded better. It’s extremely immersive and the pans are seamless from front to back and side to side that you’ll swear a shark is about to snatch you off your couch.

Video 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Full color booklet about the production (very informative)
  • The Shark is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of Jaws
  • Jaws: The Restoration
  • The Making of Jaws
  • From the Set
  • Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
  • Jaws Archives
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Movies Anywhere + Blu-ray

Conclusion
Now that UHD is five years old, the classics are starting to appear with regularity on the format and I’m pleased to see the studios taking the effort to ensure that they look and sound their best in 4K. If you already own the Blu-ray, there’s enough here to warrant a double (or triple) dip, especially if you’re a fan of the film. Highly recommended.     

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:42:40 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Jaws - 45th Anniversary Limited Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
Greetings,

Yes, yes and YES! Totally agree Dave. Nice review buddy... ;)

Regards,

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »
Greetings,

Yes, yes and YES! Totally agree Dave. Nice review buddy... ;)

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in Ralph. "Here's to swimming with bow legged women." LOL :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:04:06 PM »
Thanks to your advice and Ralphs I just double dipped  the 4K from Amazon. This is truly an outstanding movie. And if any more of us buy it we are going to need a bigger boat!

David may I add something? When we use the term summer blockbuster some people don’t understand what that might really mean. Often because they’re too young. Today movies open up all at the same time in every state and community. However, before Jaws, Movies opened up in the big cities first and then slowly moved across the country. So it might have taken two or three months for a movie to open up in your neighbourhood. The demand for Jaws was so great that they had to make additional prints and open it up all over the country at the same time. That is why it is called a blockbuster because The demand was so great. It also shows you that national advertising and promotion superseded local advertising when it came to movies. So the ads on national television and appearances on national TV shows such as the Tonight Show took over advertising for these pictures.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:47:44 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:05 PM »
Thanks to your advice and Ralphs I just double dipped  the 4K from Amazon. This is truly an outstanding movie. And if any more of us buy it we are going to need a bigger boat!

David may I add something? When we use the term summer blockbuster some people don’t understand what that might really mean. Often because they’re too young. Today movies open up all at the same time in every state and community. However, before Jaws, Movies opened up in the big cities first and then slowly moved across the country. So it might have taken two or three months for a movie to open up in your neighbourhood. The demand for Jaws was so great that they had to make additional prints and open it up all over the country at the same time. That is why it is called a blockbuster because The demand was so great. It also shows you that national advertising and promotion superseded local advertising when I came to movies. So the ads on national television and appearances on national TV shows such as the Tonight Show took over advertising for these pictures.
Barry, thanks for sharing that bit of history. I remember with Star Wars (just 2 years later) that the opening was HUGE around the country. I didn't get to see it on opening weekend, but I did see it the next weekend and was a fan from the beginning. At the time I lived in Modesto, CA, which was George Lucas' childhood home and the community that he based American Graffiti on. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Ralph. "Here's to swimming with bow legged women." LOL :D

Greetings,

Glad you now get the quote! ;D

Regards,

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 05:21:23 PM »
Sounds like an amazing disc.  Hoping my Best Buy Steelbook version arrives tomorrow.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 10:19:20 PM »
Sounds like an amazing disc.  Hoping my Best Buy Steelbook version arrives tomorrow.
Be sure to report back what you think. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
I have not got this text from Amazon and the site says that they’re out of it. I went to Best Buy and they’re out of her also. Just what I thought it was safe to go back to the stores!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Barry

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
I just got an email from Amazon and they will be delivering jaws on Thursday. Just when I thought it was safe to go back to the mailbox!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal